How about a Technics SL1200 or SL1210 review?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i think chebby is right to be honest ....but you only have to type in sl1200 and there are many owner reviews who have compared the technics to other decks and technics mostly come out on top in most areas ............ i think regardless of whfi say about this deck it sounds lovely and the build quality is stupendous ......even one other top magazine rates them very highly ..30 odd years of production cant be wrong

Albion59

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
At first glance, the REGA tt's seem to be the better choise over the SL-1200. But is it ? No! What I have against the REGA policy not to state decent specs is one of the biggest omissions a company of quality stuff can make. REGA is flimsy built, parts are glued in place and the older tt's hardly ever play at the correct speed. The Technics SL1200 family is quite the opposite, I mean, read the manual that comes with it. Look at the wow and flutter figures for example, you can't beat those! Where are these figures in the REGA manual, if one can call it one..........? No, instead REGA reccommends not to overly clean a record "as dust will be pushed aside while playing". Well well, what a reccommendation that is, as if we are all novices.

I have owned a REGA once, only to get rid of it after a few months because the speed was not constant, I could hear the flutter and hear the motor run. I have two SL-1200's now, and they perform flawlessly. No DJ-tools, they were adopted by the DJ because the SL-1200 family was, and still is, the only turntable that could cope with the tortures. It was developped as a industry standard and the sheer quality make it will last your lifetime.

Granted, you can't screw in just any cartridge. But mate it with a suitable one and it will reward you with state of the art performance. Remember, records were out developped long time ago, they simply can not get any better than they were lets say in the 70's. Yes, the time when the Sl-1200 was developped.

What HIFI should state specs instead. Only then quality will reveal itself and I'm sure REGA turntables will be seen through quite different glasses. What's more, only by stating specs there will be diffences which are so needed for those who are real newcomers and are in the market for vinyl. They deserve good, honest reviews. Most products get 4 or 5 stars in the present situation. Not anymore if specs are stated. Yes, it will take more efforts but it is the only way to show the real differences between turntables.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I actually think the SL1200/10 decks will cut it in the £1000 area no problems! I don't think anyone here disputes the capability of it, I myself owned and yes its built for purpose. Wonder what it would sound like with a RB3003 arm and nice cart!

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I actually think the SL1200/10 decks will cut it in the £1000 area no problems! I don't think anyone here disputes the capability of it, I myself owned and yes its built for purpose. Wonder what it would sound like with a RB3003 arm and nice cart!

how does the SL1300 range compare to the SL1200 range, managed to get a SL1300 for £70 off loot magazine,love the retro look with 's' arm,

,, cant see a used SL1200 going for anthing less than £250 for a decent working one. so I assume its way ahead of the SL1300 which can be had alot cheaper. but Its a bit of a solid slab itself, the wow and flutter is the same at 0.02% which I assume is a good figure

I really wanted an SL1200, but I now love my SL1300

Hellenic Vanagon

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello from Greece!

My first post here due to this discovery:

Mike Fremer: (Stereophile 5/14)

MIKEFREMERGammaIotaAlphaSP-10MK1_zpsafd6585c.png

700px-Nasa-logo_zps6690147b.gif

NASAwhitepaper_zpsb377d807.png

NASATECHNICSPANASONICSERVODIRECTDRIVE_zps7cb02e9e.png

A family with the same motor/electronics:

TECHNICSNASACERTIFIED_zps56844058.jpg

BLIND TEST

TECHNICS SL-1200 ORIGINAL SERVO MK1 VS REGA PLANAR 3 VS YAMAHA YP-701

Having compared current-model turntables in my home system, I expected the differences among the turntables tested here to be subtle-and frankly, I expected the Rega Planar 3 to beat the vintage turntables easily.

After all, it's belt-drive and the others are direct-drive, and audiophiles say belt-drive is better.

Well, in this case, at least, the audiophiles are wrong.

Simply put, the Technics SL-120 walked all over the other two turntables. "It's just better balanced in every way," one panelist said.

The SL-120's best attribute was its bass, which was much fuller, more tuneful and more precise than the other turntables could muster.

The difference wasn't subtle; I could hear it even from behind the speakers.

But it wasn't just the bass-the SL-120 also had a warmer, more natural tonal balance than the other turntables.

Of the six listeners, five picked the SL-120 as their clear favorite.

measuring.JPG

(A photo from the event)

http://www.iavscanada.com/Articles/art_turntable.htm

Hellenic Vanagon

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Welcome HV, and these machines still have many fans. I see the eBay prices here are about one third higher than a couple of years ago when I last looked in detail.

I appreciate the welcoming.

Very interesting information!

richard38

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, some people ask 600euro and if you ask if you make take a look inside when you wanna buy it , they say: offcourse, i'd like to see what it looks like).... Not one you must buy, buy a week ago i bought another 1210mk2 revised and coated with the text nice ingraved for 600 euro and has new rca cables, only no new tonearmcables, but that easy replaced. Only i have to laugh about originlive with their way to expensive external powersupply, which reduces to rumble from the standard psu and degrees emi etc. You can achieve that by replacing the stand psu externals in an alu case and part 3 was the problem with the powersurges... just build one yourself with a decent torioid and a nice schematic, which ain't no problem. And i thought that somebody from this forum was the dj-guy and new ten imporant dj, used their gear. Real handy an external psu. And the the townarm 500 euro and thick plattermat.... while it's often used by scratchers , since the house seen uses the cdj's mostly. And als the oyaide metal platter. That's no 1210mk2 any more and the most less quality part, the rotor shaft they leave standard. But how bad are the engineers, that they need 500 dollar for a psu. Nobody talks about vestax btw... strange Well made, only the straight arm is heavy, but you also have the s-arm shaped one, which is a quality arm and nice capacitors, no chinese stuff.

gr richard

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
admin said:
They're iconic decks, yet I haven't seen a review in WHFSAV.

I for one would be interested to see a review, perhaps with the Rega P3 and the Pro-ject Xpression. The Technics are the subject of much controversy as to whether they're a true hifi decks or good for DJs only, so an independent opinion would be good to see..
They are true audiophile decks with stupendous build quality which would now cost a fortune and better built than anything upto 1k unless another dj type deck.......they are and were designed as audiophile decks adopted by djs due to this fact..........just a shame they are ignored and dismissed by a lot of people

audioaddict said:
admin said:
They're iconic decks, yet I haven't seen a review in WHFSAV.

I for one would be interested to see a review, perhaps with the Rega P3 and the Pro-ject Xpression. The Technics are the subject of much controversy as to whether they're a true hifi decks or good for DJs only, so an independent opinion would be good to see..
They are true audiophile decks with stupendous build quality which would now cost a fortune and better built than anything upto 1k unless another dj type deck.......they are and were designed as audiophile decks adopted by djs due to this fact..........just a shame they are ignored and dismissed by a lot of people

They are not ignored or dismissed as far as I am aware. They are still very much in demand, however, the vast majority of new buyers prefer to buy new.

This is an old and discontinued turntable we are talking about and it's no wonder WHFSAV don't have a recent review of it as it hasn't been manufactured since 2010 and I don't think they are in the habit of reviewing anything that isn't 'new'.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
they are dismissed al by the so called audiophile purists who prefer belt drive decks........there are plenty on here and other forums that dismiss them.........thats who i,m talking about whether youre aware of them or not, ive read plenty of put downs where the technics is concerned

audioaddict said:
they are dismissed al by the so called audiophile purists who prefer belt drive decks........there are plenty on here and other forums that dismiss them.........thats who i,m talking about whether youre aware of them or not, ive read plenty of put downs where the technics is concerned

I don't get too bogged down in other forums (just one or two) so I'll take your word for it. Some people don't know what they are missing. Unfortunately, or not, there will always be adherents to a particular drive method be it belt, direct, or idler that will denegrate other methods which, truth be told, are usually better.

Its the variety that makes turntables so debateable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts