How about a Technics SL1200 or SL1210 review?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
They're iconic decks, yet I haven't seen a review in WHFSAV.

I for one would be interested to see a review, perhaps with the Rega P3 and the Pro-ject Xpression. The Technics are the subject of much controversy as to whether they're a true hifi decks or good for DJs only, so an independent opinion would be good to see..

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We did review the Technics decks way-back-when - IIRC a three-star review, as you could buy much better performance (if not, of course, the DJ frills) for the same money.

I'll see if I can dig the review out of the archive next week, if I remember.

A

Anonymous

I don't think there is much controversy about it. With a bit of fettling, it's a great sub £1000 turntable. Have a look on some of the other forums or dare I say it, at some of the other hi-fi mags.

A

Anonymous

Emmodd:I don't think there is much controversy about it. With a bit of fettling, it's a great sub £1000 turntable. Have a look on some of the other forums or dare I say it, at some of the other hi-fi mags.That's why I say there's a lot of controversy. Many dismiss it as DJ junk and not HiFi, whilst others sing it praises to the skies.

No matter, it deserves attention if only because the SL1200/1210 more than any other deck kept vinyl alive.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Tarquinh:
Emmodd:I don't think there is much controversy about it. With a bit of fettling, it's a great sub £1000 turntable. Have a look on some of the other forums or dare I say it, at some of the other hi-fi mags.That's why I say there's a lot of controversy. Many dismiss it as DJ junk and not HiFi, whilst others sing it praises to the skies.

No matter, it deserves attention if only because the SL1200/1210 more than any other deck kept vinyl alive.

Some of the blame has to be taken by Panasonic by dropping the Technics brand as a domestic hifi producer and moving the SL1200/10 to the Technics professional range, but then, what choice did they have when it's still a major money spinner - no (s)pun intended - for them.

Whatever, the SL1200/10 , with a little coaxing, is still a sound proposition but having had one and a Rega P3-24 I believe the Rega to be the better deck.

Niglets

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
There are alot of assumptions, bias and misinformation on the net regarding this turntable. Disco music was'nt really around in 1972 when the SL1200 was developed. It was not invented for DJ's, that is a myth. The SL1200 was developed to tackle the problems associated with LP playback and alot of money was spent in R&D to achieve the result. A properly set up and situated SL1200 is a serious hi-fi table with rock steady speed (providing the record is concentric), and excellent sound quality. Many records that you buy in the used store were actually cut using Technics made direct drive system tables- so no it is not a DJ thing, but actually an industry standard. I've owned and own Rega belt drives, Thornes belt drive and Technics direct drive. In the USA For what it used to sell for ( almost half the price of a Rega 3) the SL1200 had no peer. Unfortunately they are now out of production. Having owned and used both in my system, I feel The SL1200 is an overall better table than a Rega 2 or 3. Some take the SL1200 and put expensive SME arms on it to create a "giant killer".

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
For what its worth I love my modded Technics SL1200 with an origin live basic modded tonearm. It has been a huge step up from my project debut despite keeping the same ortofon blue 2m cart as far as digging out detail from vinyl. I do think it is a valid alternative to the rega p3-24 option which is the usual recommendation at around this price range. There do seem to be differences in sound between the two probably because of the direct drive versus belt driven issues. Both have the option of further improvements as funds allow. I guess the main problem is the opportunity to try out the modded technics in contrast to the Rega. There are certainly forums for advice for the interested but differences of opinion as far as best replacement power supply and most compatible tonearms for the technics.

Niglets

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I suppose it is all moot now since they are out of production which seems ill timed with regard to the SL1200 gaining popularity in the "audiophile" community. There is nothing wrong with the arm on the SL1200, it has lower bearing friction than many more expensive arms including Rega and as the SL1200 was the trickle down of the high end professional SP turntables, the arm is also a lower cost version of one of their high end models back then called EPA 100. On the minus side the arm is not a one piece cast which is standard audiophile acceptance level, but it does have the convenience of being very easy to listen to the different cartridges in your stable almost immediately. The inferiority of the Technics arm is blown out of proportion and seems mostly based on hearsey, as the only way to really know would be to have two SL1200's side by side one with the stock arm and one with a Rega or Origin live arm. Those arms may or may not work better on the deck, but the perception that you have to rid the arm for the SL1200 to be any good is ill informed IMO.

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I went through the classic 1980's upgrade path; Dual CS-505, Rega Planar then LP-12 Ittock. The later served me well for many years, but after reading about the SL-1200 on forums, and other mags, I picked one up second hand to have a play around with, for my own fun.

I cleaned it up, compared it to the Linn, and was amazed that I prefered the Technics. There is a real solid foundation to the music, in the bass area, and a more precise sound. The Linn "swings" more, but that's about it. No lessenibg of detail with the Technics, or lack of imaging.

The only downside I heard was a slightly hard upper-mid, but cured that with some sorbothene feet, and a cork mat. With these minor tweaks, the SL-12xx is a great piece of kit, IMHO.

It is definitely a serious piece of Hi-Fi, not a cheap plastic deck, and properly fettled can give excellent results.

I have heard one, albeit briefly, with a Rega RB250 fitted, and that seemed to give a smoother, more detailed sound, so maybe the arm is the weak link, despite the good quality of it's construction. Too many joins perhaps!

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I hope I was not dismissing "swing", as it is very important, and I find the Technics has a high boogie factor, with the Linn just edging it. In every other respect I prefer the Technics.

To be fair to the Linn, it was probably due a service, which would have taken it back to it's best, but nowadays I can't be bothered! I'd rather have something that consistently performs to a high standard, year in and year out, with minimum fuss.

I'm now playing, and enjoying, vinyl far more than I have for years.

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I hope I was not dismissing "swing", as it is very important, and I find the Technics has a high boogie factor, with the Linn just edging it. In every other respect I prefer the Technics.

To be fair to the Linn, it was probably due a service, which would have taken it back to it's best, but nowadays I can't be bothered! I'd rather have something that consistently performs to a high standard, year in and year out, with minimum fuss.

I'm now playing, and enjoying, vinyl far more than I have for years.

I too have been reading up about the Technics, having seen a few modded ones at the Bristol show in February. I think in the UK they were overlooked when everyone believed belt-drive ruled and direct-drive was technically fine but unmusical. History seems to have proved that wrong, or at least not the whole story.

I also have a disused LP12 awaiting restoration, and I'm wondering if better to get a SL1210 with a decent arm, rather than spend months trying to fathom what upgrades the Linn needs, only to have it all go out of line on the way home from the dealer! Or maybe to try the Inspire vivid kit to resurrect the Linn.

A

Anonymous

for DJs theres no contest the Technics SL-1200/1210 series are the best there is, imo tho if your after better sound quality out of the box then the MK4s are the way to go. a review would be great tho, any news on that link ?

Niglets

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
This "pace and timing", "boogie" or "swing" thing get's tossed around in the audio press and is something Linn and Rega tables are reputed to have. When I got an SL1210MK5 my findings were similar to Mickeyjoe's. The Technics actually beat the Regas (P3 and 5) in the boogie department, it gives a more solid sound and it is very musical. So I agree with the poster who said what would such things as imaging be if it did'nt make you want to listen in the bargain- this of course is a very subjective thing. I don't know exactly what contributes to the 1200's sound but there is something to be said for a precision of speed; the DD speed hunting thing is a myth- piano notes do not waver at all and things are nicely balanced and right (unless the record is off center). Tonally the Rega sounds a bit thinner and lacking meat, but has more speed and hi-fi qualities- detail, imaging etc. I thought the Technics was more musical overall, and is no slouch on the checklist of things like tonality, detail, imaging etc.

russhurley

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
:) Did they get around to posting the original review? quality but i remember comparting it to a NAD at the time. The rumble was way less on the NAD. But then, the Sls are all still going, and will keep going for ever. its cog free, belt free and built like a *rick *hit house.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The technics sl1200 is an amazing piece of equipment and people are right on here, it wasnt made for djs it was made as a high quality domestic deck which the djs quickly took on because of its quality. I posted on here a cple of days ago thinking I.d find a suitable replacement for around £500 but there seriously is nothing near the stupendous build quality this offers. I would love to update the tonearm but ive even been advised on here that the arm isnt that bad at all so ive decided to leave it. I bought an audia technica cartridge for £20 ( I wldve spent more on that if i cld) but it sounds fine. I am proud to own one of these iconic decks from an iconic brand . Look on the vintage technics website at their stuff around the late 70s to mid 80s. It is of some of the highest quality ( their high end pre power amps were extrememly expensive and as iconic as the 1200 tt) The sea 3 for example is stupendous. It was technics that got me into hi-fi in the early eighties when my dad came home with a brand new system.....back then it was just awsome........... I now realise i.d never get rid of my 1200mk2 and what ever system I have in the future will be built around it.

Its such a shame that this brand stopped making hi-fi as they were right up there in their day.

David Platt

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Be it as it may the 3 star review... .I find the sound of the Sl1210 (I bought new ) great..although it lacks occasionally in sweet it pretty much has a solid sound with no or very little backgroun noise-with a close to or identical belt drive like sound.A good combination for enjoyable listening.Plus electronic speed change.Does well with the Om5e catridge.Entirely satisfying deck.

shame it is not made anymore.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Anyone who has heard an SL1200, with a decent cartridge, then gone home to a bit of chipboard, an elastic band (and a motor that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding), probably feels as cheated as I did when it happened to me. Throw in the engineering, decent hinges, the 'proper record player' looks and bullet proof build and you too might wonder how we were all conned for so long. (I admit I believed the #### we were told about Japanese DD turntables until it was far too late.)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
There are many belt drive and idler drive turntables that will outperform the Technics, Chebby. All systems have the same object, to rotate the platter at a steady speed. Direct drive just happened to be a hi-tech approach, as opposed to the solid engineering of the Linns, Thorens, Garrards etc.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Its not so much 'outperforming' as it is a different take/flavor on things. I still think the arm/cartridge combination will ultimately be more important than the rest of a deck but that doesn't mean you should save there (Rega?).

Looking at technical details the higher end Technics decks are probably near the pinacle of TT technology. Especially the Studio SP's if used with good arm/cartridges.

Stil, I personally like my belt drives too.

regards

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The SP10 was much much better than the other two and designed for Hi-Fi from scratch. Better made and engineered and here (MKII) in still working perfectly!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
There are many belt drive and idler drive turntables that will outperform the Technics...

Arguably not at the price the Technics sold for during it's long production run. You can't compare a Linn LP12 (sensibly) because even it's 'entry level' versions were far more expensive. Up to 4.5 X more expensive by the end of SL1200 production. (Not counting the LP12 Majik's optional £110 lid at the time.)

Not sensible either to compare the Garrard Transcriptors (you mentioned 'idlers' so that suggests 301s and 401s and Loricraft restorations) because they not only pre-dated the Technics, but were far more expensive too (especially onced plinthed and provided with an appropriate arm).

Thorens TD160s were also a lot more expensive.

Not so such more expensive in the early days of both decks, but significantly more later on. By the end of SL1210 production in 2010 a Thorens TD160HD with an OEM RB250 arm was about £1800 (It's £2100 now) and a stock 1210 Mk5 was £499 (with a more 'spangly' MK5 G 30th anniversary variant for £699).

So, by the end of it's production, the SL1210 was about the same price as a Rega P3-24.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts