• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Technics SL1210 ... HIFI or not?

PeterB

Jan 19, 2021
Something that has been on my mind for a very long time and interested to hear the general view on this: as a relic from past times I have always kept my Technics SL1210 MKII as the turntable of choice in my system. Did an upgrade of the cartridge (Ortofon) but that's basically it. How would that compare to the Regas, Pro-Jects and the like...?

Al ears

Originally designed for hifi they only became noticed by DJ's later. A bit like comparing apple's and oranges.
however it's a good deck and, if in a good state of repair, will take a good cartridge upgrade.
I know of a few that even stick an S ME tonearm on it. It can be upgraded in many ways and is worth keeping
There is a reason there are many cheap copies manufactured these days.......

Last edited:
Reactions: Friesiansam

daytona600

Oct 5, 2012
1200 biggest selling turntable of all time over 3 million produced , plus numerous other variants of the 1200
Project circa 2million in the last 20years
Rega is a cottage industry compared to technics & Project

Al ears

1200 biggest selling turntable of all time over 3 million produced , plus numerous other variants of the 1200
Project circa 2million in the last 20years
Rega is a cottage industry compared to technics & Project
That might be correct however it does little to answer the OPs question apart from sales figures.
It also depends on which models of Rega or Project he is referring to. For a current day cost equivalent the Technics still holds it ground but with higher end models it can be lacking and the electronics involved in the Technics aren't going to last forever.
having said that if I had money to throw at it I would but one.
Despite sales I would hardly call Rega a cottage industry. It's Project that are the new kids on the block and without the resurgence in vinyl they would be nowhere

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts