Hoopsontoast (Kef Reference 104.2)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Disregarding your totally misinformed and frankly laughable comment about turntables in another thread ... ;)

... I nevertheless would like your opinion (and anyone elses who has had experience with the following);

I have an opportunity to acquire a very good condition (seller description) pair of Kef Reference 104.2's. The units have just been dealer checked.

I have no reason to disbelieve him as I will collect.

What is your opinion on these?

I am thinking those could make a nice period system with my TT's and although I dont have a matching amplifier yet (period wise) my Sony should be a good match on the basis of what I've read. Good power/current and neutral tonality. May look out for an older Luxman or Accuphase in due time if I buy the Kef's

Thanks and regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
May add, Listening Room is approx 6 x 5m.

I like a sound with 'body' and good transient/leading edge resolve. Neutral but not to dry. Cohesion and rythm is more important than spacial resolution. Tight and delineated bass is more important than shaking walls.

Does this make sense?

regards

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what the comment was on turntables? Sure it was me? I have not posted in a while.....

Anyway:

I really liked my 104/2s and if I had had a bigger room, probably would have kept them. The main failing points are the bass drivers, the foam outer surrounds and inner surrounds degrade over time. They will degrade, so if they have never been replaced, then you will need to budget £200 or so to get someone to replace them for you. Its quite an easy if time-consuming job to do it yourself.

The other thing to check is the tweeter, it has a common problem with the ferrofluid, it dries up over time and can reduce the tweeters output level, again this is a relatively easy job to undertake and aparently can 'transform' them if they sound a little rolled off.

I used a Sony TA-F770ES with mine, and thought it was a good match although that was only evident at high volume levels, I used a Puresound A10 (8wpc PP valve amp) before and it was fine. The 104/2s are a 'easy' load for amplifiers, around 95db/1m/2.83v and a constant 4 ohm load makes them perfect for voltage amplifiers with a transformer output, such as any valve amp with a 4 ohm output transformer tap.

I only had problems with bass, some odd booming in my room, that based on more recent experience could have been addressed with bass panels.

The 104/2s themselves, are great, really good mid-treble integration, very good dynamics and very well defined soundstage, I actually prefer them to the more modern Reference models I have heard (203/2 and 205/2). They do work well near rear walls but they need a little space.

8348880271_96fd5774ee_b.jpg

8456027430_f34d15aab9_b.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
My preference has always been for standmounts. They just seemed to suit my listening style (low to mid volume) better than floorstanders I could afford.

Do you think these References preserve some of the strengths of good standmounts (coherence and timing) whilst adding something?

I am happy with all my speakers but just came across these at a good price (£300)

Thanks and regards

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
My preference has always been for standmounts. They just seemed to suit my listening style (low to mid volume) better than floorstanders I could afford.

Do you think these References preserve some of the strengths of good standmounts (coherence and timing) whilst adding something?

I am happy with all my speakers but just came across these at a good price (£300)

Thanks and regards

Yes I found they sounded very good at low volumes, for £300 you cant go wrong but do check before you buy, that seems a very cheap price for a pair thats had the bass drivers re-foamed. They certainly have good coherence although may lack a bit compared to good standmounts.

If they are as described, I would say go for it, you should not loose if you want to move them on afterwards.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Haven't heard them for a long time but weren't that series a bit on the full and rich side, with the bass being not as tight as is expected these days?

Terrific speakers, but if you like the neutral, drier sound that seems everywhere now they may not be for you.

Can you listen before buying?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
drummerman said:

Thanks and regards

Yes I found they sounded very good at low volumes, for £300 you cant go wrong but do check before you buy, that seems a very cheap price for a pair thats had the bass drivers re-foamed. They certainly have good coherence although may lack a bit compared to good standmounts.

If they are as described, I would say go for it, you should not loose if you want to move them on afterwards.

Ok thanks. I guess as I'll collect I can check the drivers/surrounds. I am quite handy and have seen the re-foam kits so worst case scenario, I can do it myself.

@AL

No, can't listen to them first though as this is not an auction buy I could, I guess just take one of my amps with me when collecting.

regards

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
These were the speakers that hooked me into Reference. It was the first time I ever heard a decent meaty bass line at the same time as hearing and feeling the beat. Many speakers tend to muddle the two together, but listening to Peter Gabriel's This Is The Picture from the So album, the beat kicked you in the chest, while the bassline was a separate entity.

I do find that, like most Reference models, they like a capable amplifier. The more capable, the better :)

Rob has already listed most of their attributes so I don't need to go into them, but they're extremely capable dynamically, and an old work colleague (who still has his from purchase in the early 80's) used to play them at what seemed like gig levels with AC/DC using a pair of Cyrus monoblocks, and they just took it all in their stride. For the prices these get sold at, they're silly bargains.

Unlike Rob, I don't feel these can match up to what Reference is capable of nowadays, but for a speaker that is (I believe) 30 years old next year, they've aged well, and will still show many speakers up to the £2k price point a thing or two! I'd liked to have kept hold of my pair for sentimental reasons (among others), but as they were replaced with Reference 4.2's, there was just no room!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts