Hooking up Sony STR-DG 820 Reciever, Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player and Samsung LE37a559P LCD TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK quick question when hooking up my Samsung blu ray player to the amp which Audio setting in the Samgung Blu ray player options should I opt for: Linear PCM or Bitstream? I am only connecting using HDMI

Maybe it’s me but to my ears bitstream (with Dolby D showing on the receiver) does seem to sound better than linear PCM (with LPCM showing on the receiver)

So is it in my head, or does bitstream sound better than Linear PCM?

A

Anonymous

Bitstream becomes separate LPCM channels once it is decoded - so technically they are not different. However, if you choose LPCM on the Samsung, you are asking the bluray player to decode and then pipe the LPCM channels to the amp.

If you choose bitstream then you are asking the amp to do the decoding. So it is a question of which one does a better decoding job.

Personally I agree with you, my set up sounds better if the amp decodes (and hence shows the logos of Dolby and DTS). A dedicated AV amp will probably have superior decoding than a player of similar price.

A

Anonymous

Yeah makes sense I guess, to let the amp do the decoding rather than the Blu ray player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts