HD sound and 3D at sme time, please

F

FunkyMonkey

Please help.

I have just bought a Samsung 55ES8000 TV.

I have an Onkyo 805 receiver, which DOES NOT support 3D.

I have a Sony BPS 470 Blu Ray Player which is 3D.

I have a NEET doubler that I have connected to HDMI out of Blu Ray player.

One output from the NEET goes to receiver, the other to the TV. The theory is that I bipass teh receiver for 3D picture, and I bipass the TV for HD sound.

However, whilst I get the 3D picture, I do not get HD sound from my reciever. Just PCM stereo.

Having experimented, there are 2 possibilities:

1. The TV is feeding back via the NEET to the receiver that the sound shoudl be stereo only

2. The NEET stops HD Sound and 3D being passed through.

If number 1 is the problem, any workarounds, please?

If number 2 is the problem, could it be my cables that are the issue (even though they are short, gold plated connectors and very thick)? Or could it be that the NEET box is nto suitable - cannot see why?!

HDMI is so fernickety!

Please help as I am desperate to watch Hugo in 3D and full HD sound.

Thanks.

Funky.

P.S. One thing I will try is setting my Blu Ray player to PCM output rather than Bitstream, and let my player do the decoding rather than my receiver. The difference should not be discernible, and this would be an acceptabel workaround.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You could splurge on a BD player with twin HDMI outputs, or one with single HDMI and multichannel analogue outputs.

Keep it under your hat, but there have been rumours that Onkyo's '5' series amps may well pass 3D images through them, despite not being officially 3D compatible. Worth a try surely.

F

FunkyMonkey

I didn't even think to even try to pass through 3D. Will give it a go.

Not got much hope as I have a very early example of my receiver, where newer hardware chipset ones came out with improved firmware (which I cannot update in mine without risk of bricking it.) Anyway, that's a side issue, so will definitely give it a guy.

Thanks.

P.S. Been reading on Amazon at the reviews, and others have had similar issues, and the buzzword seems to be "synchronous output". Will look more at that, and udpate the thread myself with a conclusion.

nads

1 How? the Amp does have ARC

2 no idea I use a dual output player.

But at one time i did seem to get 3D pass through on the Amp. never repeated it though so it may have been the TV converting.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I was in the same boat so I just went for the Panasonic BluRay with twin HDMI.

You can actually lock off the video information from HDMI 2 and just pass the HD sound direct to the receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts