Home Cinema System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a 42" Samsung LCD and am looking for a surround sound and DVD (Poss re Blu ray?) to replace my existing panasonic system. The panasonic is 3-4 years old and has been a pain in the bottom since I bought it from Comet. Room is average size lounge and looking to spend around £300 but am prepared to go more if you think I would be far better off?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My advice, spend a bit more and get the Sony DAV-IS10 (though I've heard rumours it may be being replaced soon - anyone confirm?). Anyway, replacement or not, it's still a cracking system and can be got for £350-£400.
EDIT - knew I'd seen it somewhere - details of the new version here. Hasn't been reviewed yet though so don't assume it will be better than the IS10 just because it's new.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - can you confirm it has a DVD in it as the new/replacement one doesnt seem to have?

A

Anonymous

Ok brilliant thank you. John Lewis had a video to watch that was really useful. Last question then. If I wanted to use a wireless option - what would you recommend and I guess how much more would I be talking?

thanks...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, there are wireless options around at that price (e.g. Sony DAV-DZ531W). The trouble is, from every review I've seen, they're not very good as the money is going on the wireless aspect rather than the sound. You'd have to spend a lot more to get a wireless system that sounds as good as the DAV-IS10, and then of course, if you're spending that much, you could again get a wired product for that price which would far outclass it!
I guess it really depends on how important no wires is to you.

A

Anonymous

Sony do a wireless rear speaker module for use with the DAVIS10

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4071

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, but then you are spending £500 - £550 on the DAV-IS10 when, for the same money, you could get a better all-in-one solution or even a wired separates system which would again outclass it.
As I say, it really comes down to how important wireless is to you. If it's just a nice to have, but you would prefer better quality of sound / picture, it's not worth it (in my opinion). If it's a must have though, then obviously it is worth the extra money.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:My advice, spend a bit more and get the Sony DAV-IS10 (though I've heard rumours it may be being replaced soon - anyone confirm?). Anyway, replacement or not, it's still a cracking system and can be got for £350-£400.
EDIT - knew I'd seen it somewhere - details of the new version here. Hasn't been reviewed yet though so don't assume it will be better than the IS10 just because it's new.

Or you could go with the new entry level Sony receiver (£150 from Play), the Jamo A10HCS (or whatever at £180ish) and the Sony 1080p upscaling dvd player that I have in my dining room, DVP-NS78 (£70). All done for £400 and would be a lot better than the Sony package with more options for the future.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Or you could go with the new entry level Sony receiver (£150 from Play), the Jamo A10HCS (or whatever at £180ish) and the Sony 1080p upscaling dvd player that I have in my dining room, DVP-NS78 (£70). All done for £400 and would be a lot better than the Sony package with more options for the future.

Can you confirm what receiver that is? I am assuming that that the reciever quality will equal that of the IS10 and if you get a decent DVD player then you could be ahead (have a better sound/picture) for the roughly same money and have the option to upgrade and add more inputs in the future - all round sounds a better deal if there is a £150 reciever that is any good...

Do you have a link to the receiver?

A

Anonymous

That'll be this one........
http://whathifi.com/News/UPDATED-Sony-reveals-more-details-of-its-2008-AV-receiver-range/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts