hissing sound from 805S tweeter? have i done something??

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys just noticed when i tried to pick something up near my speaker that there is a hissing sound from the tweeter on my speakers. Its only noticeable if there is no music playing and i put my ears next to it. The amp volume dial is on zero. The mid range driver is silent? Is this normal?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
that seems pretty weird to me, does it come from both tweeters? i would have thought if the amp is at zero then nothing was going to the speakers?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
from my experience musical fidelity amps generate a very slight hum that you can hear if close but as soon as anything plays its can't be heard - don't think you have anything to worry about

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Yeah it comes from both speakers. Its not a humming as such. Just hissing like static sound. Like i said its only heard when sticking my ears to the tweeters. The mid range driver is silent as expected?

A

Anonymous

I have a similar sound coming out of my speakers. Its probably just amplified background interference. I can only hear it when there is nothing playing and my ear is right up to the speaker. Adjusting the volume on the pre makes no difference to the volume of the hiss.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Possibly background radiation from the Big Bang
emotion-1.gif

A portion of the random picture interference you used to get in between 'terrestrial' TV stations was Cosmic Background radiation.

http://www.universetoday.com/2009/02/16/the-switch-to-digital-switches-off-big-bang-tv-signal/

Maybe your tweeters are transmitting the same.

SteveR750

chebby:
Possibly background radiation from the Big Bang
emotion-1.gif

A portion of the random picture interference you used to get in between 'terrestrial' TV stations was Cosmic Background radiation.

http://www.universetoday.com/2009/02/16/the-switch-to-digital-switches-off-big-bang-tv-signal/

Maybe your tweeters are transmitting the same.

sorry to hijack this thread, but chebby Im interested why yo chose the R3's - I would have done so over the DM602 S3's iI bought 3 years ago as the R3's were just beyond my budget. I came very close to fleabaying purchase a pair of R5's but chickened out after te reviews I read (hard / lean / etc)

A

Anonymous

SHAXOS:Hey guys just noticed when i tried to pick something up near my speaker that there is a hissing sound from the tweeter on my speakers. Its only noticeable if there is no music playing and i put my ears next to it. The amp volume dial is on zero. The mid range driver is silent? Is this normal?

It's about to explode. Run.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:sorry to hijack this thread, but chebby Im interested why yo chose the R3's - I would have done so over the DM602 S3's iI bought 3 years ago as the R3's were just beyond my budget. I came very close to fleabaying purchase a pair of R5's but chickened out after te reviews I read (hard / lean / etc)

Why I chose the R3's...

(1) They looked great. I liked the Maple finish.

(2) They were on offer at ex-dem price of £399 instead of £499

(3) They were just the right size.

(4) At the time I auditioned them I was also buying an Arcam Solo-Mini and the R3's were quite efficient so they sounded great together.

(5) They did not need stands and they are not fussy about positioning.

(6) All the other speakers (including so-called '5 Star' options from MA and B&W) that I listened to, sounded awful or needed ugly and expensive stands to get the best from them or only sounded good in a narrow 'hotspot'.

(7) Basically as soon as I saw them I sort of knew we were meant for each other. My wife likes their looks and sound too, and probably will not let me upgrade them.

(8) They took the upgrade from Solo-Mini to Naim really well and sound even better now. I suspect they have another upgrade or two left in them yet.

I am glad I never read any reviews of the R3's beforehand. I have heard all sorts of things said about the R3's since then (in forum comments not reviews) but don't really care what is said - good or bad - because they are family.

SteveR750

chebby:
SteveR750:sorry to hijack this thread, but chebby Im interested why yo chose the R3's - I would have done so over the DM602 S3's iI bought 3 years ago as the R3's were just beyond my budget. I came very close to fleabaying purchase a pair of R5's but chickened out after te reviews I read (hard / lean / etc)

Why I chose the R3's...

(1) They looked great. I liked the Maple finish.

(2) They were on offer at ex-dem price of £399 instead of £499

(3) They were just the right size.

(4) At the time I auditioned them I was also buying an Arcam Solo-Mini and the R3's were quite efficient so they sounded great together.

(5) They did not need stands are they are not fussy about positioning.

(6) All the other speakers (including so-called '5 Star' options from MA and B&W) that I listened to, sounded awful or needed ugly and expensive stands to get the best from them or only sounded good in a narrow 'hotspot'.

(7) Basically as soon as I saw them I sort of knew we were meant for each other. My wife likes their looks and sound too, and probably will not let me upgrade them.

(8) They took the upgrade from Solo-Mini to Naim really well and sound even better now. I suspect they have another upgrade or two left in them yet.

I am glad I never read any reviews of the R3's beforehand. I have heard all sorts of things said about the R3's since then (in forum comments not reviews) but don't really care what is said - good or bad - because they are family.

so a completely random haphazard choice then...!!

and last bit made me smile
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts