High Speed HDMI with ethernet?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi.

I am wondering whether, if I run a high speed hdmi cable with ethernet capability from TV to Onkyo 609 AVR (which in turn would be connected to my router via ethernet cable) the TV would have internet/network access via the AVR?

Or does the TV need to be connected via ethernet?

If either situation would work, is there a preferred option?

Cheers

Danny.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just sought clarification from Onkyo and, as I suspected, the TX-NR609 can't share it's internet connection with other devices over HDMI. So I'm afraid you'll need separate cables from the router to each device. or you could use the Onkyo wireless dongle to connect the receiver, if you have a wireless network, and connect the TV via wired Ethernet.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
So, could I use a Powerline adaptor to deliver Ethernet to a socket near my AV equipment, then the Netgear 5 way splitter to enable a wired Ethernet connection to all the Ethernet capable boxes ?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for answering my question. Not an issue for me, was just checking before a "proper" install what cables I will need so I will just use ethernet for both and use a basic high speed HDMI from TV to amp.

Can anybody recommend a decent high speed HDMI lead approx 7-10m in length?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
bob.g said:
So, could I use a Powerline adaptor to deliver Ethernet to a socket near my AV equipment, then the Netgear 5 way splitter to enable a wired Ethernet connection to all the Ethernet capable boxes ?
Ooh- there's a question- I checked with my IT mate and he thinks there shouldn'be a problem-which to me means see if you can borrow the equipment and see if it does do the trick.

Edit- I personally would still try to get 1 ethernet line to the location and then put a switch if at all possible.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
As far as I know, not one single piece of equipment uses ethernet over HDMI. I recently chased some cables in the wall when I wall mounted my plasma and used hdcable's high speed w/ ethernet cables. I've used their cables before and they're perfectly good. I also run a couple of cheap cat6 cables for future use as I don't think my TV is internet enabled other than perhaps for firmware updates. All my living room equipment is connected to an Zyxel ethernet switch which in turn connects to a simplernetworks 200 Mbps av passthrough homeplug which allows you to still use the plug the homeplug uses. I got them from ebay and they work flawlessly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts