High Spec Small(ish) TVs

Monder

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I'm in the market to upgrade my eight and a half year old 32" Panny that has served us so well. I think that a 50"+ TV will look ridiculous in the space so really want to go with something like a 42/43". The trouble is that all the high end TVs start at 49/50" and anything lower than that we are left with the dregs. I'm considering Samsung, Panasonic or LG models but none of their 42/43" models carry the SUHD (Samsung & LG) or 4K Pro HDR (Panny) vendor certifications. I want this TV to last as long as the old one so I want to buy something of a decent spec that will last the distance.

Is it likely that manufacturers will start bringing these premium certifications to their smaller products next year, or are they going to be forever the poor relations?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Long story short: no, it is not likely we'll see a premium tv next year around 40 inch. The main problem being that a premium tv usually has a premium price.

I think that in a few years, when prices come down, we will see an oled 40 ish inch.
For me that is a premium tv.
I personally don't expect to see much of a difference with 4k at that size. Ultra wide colour space, Hdr and higher frame rate are the premium aspects I would expect will make a difference too. With a bit of luck there will be tvs in 2017 that fulfill these last 3 points. Personally I think only oled is a worthy, premium upgrade, but YMMV

Monder

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Good points there. I think I'll wait and see what 2017 brings; my 32 has done well so far, I'm sure I can handle another 10-12 months - OLED would be the Panacea.

I have a strong aversion to Sony, particulary their TVs after I bought a small (not so) Smart TV for the bedroom. Picture's fine but the software is terrible and they dropped support for it not long after I bought it - I'm done with them guys.

Monder

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Andy TW I misread that, I didn't realise you posted a link to a Samsung I thought it was the Sony you spoke of. Yes I am very interested in the Samsung Quantum Dot range, I may have gone out and bought that model already but it's only available in curved form.

I find it bizarre that they would only make that as curved only in that size and not flat. Shame, they lost a sale there - I'm sure they are reading this right now and looking to fire the product manager.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts