High(ish) system Reviews

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is there a review of high end systems/seperates on this site, or even better group tests? Thinking of £3000 per componant. If not would it be possible WHF?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's possible, but can't help feeling that would appeal to only a minute percentage of the readership - even less than DACs, probably
emotion-4.gif
- and I can already see all the brickbats from the 'why waste my time with systems for fat-cat plutocrats/only the stinking rich can afford Kellogg's cornflakes/don't you know there's a credit crunch on even if I don't really understand what that actually means' brigade.

A

Anonymous

Ha, Ha. Fair comment. Just curious as I have a Plinius CD101 and Leema Tucana which is great but as we all know in this game we are always thinking a step ahead and I was wondering if I changed either one so I had a matching pair would I benefit..........this is never ending...

T

the record spot

On the other hand, it'd be cheaper than paying for a load of old Kaka.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
wickerman68:Ha, Ha. Fair comment. Just curious as I have a Plinius CD101 and Leema Tucana which is great but as we all know in this game we are always thinking a step ahead and I was wondering if I changed either one so I had a matching pair would I benefit..........this is never ending...

Warning: if you hear the Plinius amp, you'll want it.... Your Leema is superb, but IMO the Plinius is well worth the extra outlay.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
PS - I'll talk to Andy Kerr, editor of the WHF Ultimate Guides, about there being at least a sprinkling of high-end kit in the forthcoming Ultimate Guide to Systems (due March).

A

Anonymous

I have just sorted a home demo with the Antilla, if I can do the came with a 9200 - hours of fun - and Rioja..

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:It's possible, but can't help feeling that would appeal to only a minute percentage of the readership - even less than DACs, probably
emotion-4.gif
- and I can already see all the brickbats from the 'why waste my time with systems for fat-cat plutocrats/only the stinking rich can afford Kellogg's cornflakes/don't you know there's a credit crunch on even if I don't really understand what that actually means' brigade.

Kellog's Credit Crunchy Nut Cornflakes are de rigeur these days for used-to-be-rich sorts...

A

Anonymous

What about the ultimate guide to high end kit you guys had out a while back?

A

Anonymous

Is the guide on this site at all? I have now managed to get a Plinius 9200 on loan, I will demo leema+leema, Plin+Plin, Antiila+9200 and Cd101+Tucana and let you all know the results. It may take a while....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You are going to have SUCH fun...

The guide isn't online (but should still be available from our Back Issues department on 08456 777813), but the majority of its reviews should be by now.

We are working on full digital editions of the main mag and the Ultimate Guides - watch this space for more details.

In the meantime, enjoy your music-fest!

A

Anonymous

Will do.....I won't bother looking at the guide, I have my work cut out as it is....thanks for your help Clare

A

Anonymous

Does anyone agree with the comment from Plinius below as i have a mains conditioner. Last question I promise.....

We have found that any mains conditioner, or filter, that acts in series with the mains (and most work this way) will starve the amplifier and negatively affect the sound. Try plugging the amplifier directly into the wall socket.

A

Anonymous

Have been comparing the Antilla and Cd101 with the Tucana.......nothing is ever easy......i'll keep it short as I still have many CDs to plough through. In a nutshell

The Antilla is 'sparkling' there is more detail in the mid and highs and it seems to have better control on difficult tracks

The CD101 has incredible voice reproduction and seems richer, and sounds more 'full' with classical yet less control than the Antilla

If only I could mould them into one!

Early days though

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Are these high-end cd players actualy superior to something like Sony's high end cd player, namely the Sony SCD XA5400ES, which costs £1200 and also happens to be a SACD player?

Do either the Plinius cd101 or Antila have a 'digital in' to allow them to function solely as DACs when fed by a hard drive transport? I am hoping to get a Unison research S6 at quite a good price and was wondering how they differ in sound.

Would the Leema be your pick wickerman, out of similarly priced players, like these?:

The Plinius cd101

Classe cd102

Naim Cd5x with flatcap 2x

Meridian G08

Unison research Unico cde

Cairn fog 3

A

Anonymous

Please please can you post your findings of the three way shoutout on here and also whether using your mains conditioner helped or hindered. (No worms I promise). Just the reviewers ears!

A

Anonymous

......I don't have either of them anymore........... I ended up with a Lector 7t CD Player and Graaf GM50 Amp and haven't thought for 1 milli second of changing anything since their arrival 3 months ago......with Art Emotion speakers the system is perfect to my ears. I listen to all kinds of muisc - Neil Young, Ween, QOTSA, Classical, Mars Volta, King Creosote - and all sounds wicked on it. I do use the mains conditioner..The Plinnys and Leemas were both fantastic componants I just prefer the warmer valve sound which I am sure others wouldn't....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts