High End Model of Wharfedale or Entry Level of BW?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I am wondering is it better to go for a high end model of a lower priced speaker like Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 or entry level model of BW (685) ? Both are almost of the same price. I do understand that 10.5 is a 3 way floorstander and 685 is a 2 way bookshelf.

I ask this purely from a value point of view. Is it better to go for a more expensive company. Idea being BW 685 is engineered by the same people who make their more expensive speakers.

Thanks

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i think the main factor here will be the amount of manufacturing budget that goes on a larger cabinet and an extra driver, versus the smaller cabinet and two drivers for the b+w. assuming the same sort of profit margin, this would allow for higher quality parts.

also, as you say, the trickle down effects from higher end models.

A

Anonymous

Never underestimate the value of the brand name which B&W has in spades. Therefore you can't simply assume it will be better and judging from the glowing reviews of the 10.1's id say go for the wharfedale's, they look great to.

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
try the10.1s first and go from there - you will be amazed, i currently have them on home demo, and there as good as any £3-400 speaker ive heard recently - get a demo

A

Anonymous

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your views.

I would like to clarify my question. Issue is wether a 3-way floorstander from Wharfedale (10.5) will sound better than a bookshelf from BW (685) (They are of nearly same price).

BTW I already have bought a Diamond 10.1 . It is quite good. As this is my first hifi purchase I did not believe this concept of breaking in of speakers. But I do feel that after 2 weeks of use the bass has become more defined.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

B&W DM2 Speakers Transmission Line Design: (have a pair... old but superb sound) ebay number 270446800386

even better from the same seller (had a pair and am still sad for selling them) IMF TLS 80 Reference Series Speakers : ebay item number 270446926853

matthewpiano

In the same way that a BMW isn't always better than a Volkswagen, a B&W speaker isn't always better than a Wharfedale.

Ultimately you'll need to listen for yourself. The brand name means absolutely nothing.

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:One thing to ask is what is your current amp?
Well right now, I have a Denon 1509 (i use it only for music)

I am planning to get a CA 650 though.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:One thing to ask is what is your current amp?
Well right now, I have a Denon 1509 (i use it only for music)

I am planning to get a CA 650 though.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

It also depends on how big your room is. 3 way speakers tend but not always to have better bass. Two speakers have better integration and imaging.

I have some very expensive 2 way stand mount speakers and they sounded (to my ears anyway) much better then some floor standers. Don't forget to budget for some decent stands if you get a stand mount speaker.

At the budget end most people recommend 2 way stand mount speakers so I would go for B&W!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts