Hifi to Wifi without a network. Is it possible?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK, stick with me on this one.

What I'm looking to do is plug something into my hifi amplifier that will come up on my mac (which has an airport card) so I can play itunes through my hifi system.

I don't have a wireless network set up.

I've come across these: http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060...o-transmitter/

But was just wondering if something simpler was available that only had to be plugged into the amp.

Thanks!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What about Airport Express? It is barely bigger than a plug-top power supply and will talk to your Mac. It contains a built-in DAC and can be connected to your hifi with a simple 3.5mm jack - 2 phono lead.

A

Anonymous

Thanks chebby. This should work without an internet connection, shouldn't it?

A

Anonymous

yes, but why not just attatch it to your network?

if you have wireless already, then just set it as an access point. if you don't then it will still work.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Do you think these are worth £30 toÿconnect it to my amp:ÿhttp://store.apple.com/uk/product/M9573B/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MjE0NDc1MA

I just wonder if compressed, streamed, digital music is really worth spending £30 on for a set of cables. Can anyone recommend any others?

John Duncan

Yup, just to reiterate - an Airport Express creates a wireless network (if you have an airport card in your mac), so you don't need a router. As for cables, I had good results from Gotham (
emotion-8.gif
) before I got my DACMagic.....

A

Anonymous

With optical cables running from an AE, they're not going to have any impact on the sound so you don't have to spend a fortune, and £30 sounds over the top. Maplins do some decent cables at keener prices.

A

Anonymous

Get an Airport Express. They can be configured as an access point that you connect directly to.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan & Chebby,

Yes, you are right, hadn't spotted the analog bit, so a good cable is a good idea.

TRENDING THREADS