HiFi for my computer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i currently play my music through some rubbish desktop speakers and also run a lline through my hifi (which has past its time) i need to upgrade and not sure how to go about this.

i was told by a friend to get Monitor speakers which have their own amps built in but i went to a shop selling a few of these and they sounded really dead???? (even though they were £200 each) - the guy explained thay they were 'studio' speakers which gave out "perfect" sound..... but i didnt see it that way

i like the idea of getting the amp built into the speakers because it is 100% that you will get the correct amp/speaker combo. and read on another post about these http://audioengineusa.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=77&osCsid=b7428e45b69d2c792e87a733256c4e5b but they seem a little cheap??? am i just wasting money?

i dont want to go with the normal logitec - creative etc etc option because i want something BETTER. they are fine for a computer game but i want the best i can get without spening money not needed..... i have an optical out feed from my computer and think it would be wise to use that rather then the usual phoneo jacks???? (but again i dont know which is why im asking)

my question is.... if im looking to spend a max of £400 what should i be looking at for an amp and speakers combo. most amps i have looked at seem to have 100000 inputs which i would never use... i want something to run from my computer as my hi fi.....

i had a look on the risher sounds website because i have no idea where else to look and found this http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TEAC-AG7090 am i totally off??? because it feels like i am :(

PLEASE HELP!

thaaaaanks guys

A

Anonymous

ahhhhh, also.... im going to get a projector soon which will source it's video feed from my computer (i dunno if that makes any difference??

and the Audioengine A5 speaker are sold as an ipod speaker system on a few websites.... i want something better then that :(

surround isnt an issue because i sit in the corner of my roo and have no space for speakers behind me

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Why not get something like a Fatman iTube (see this thread for saving http://whathifi.co.uk/forums/p/7006/38971.aspx#38971)

It's small, funky, had good reviews and doesn't have loads of inputs. You can buy it with speakers but they are regarded as not so good. So see this thread for possible alternatives http://whathifi.co.uk/forums/p/3726/23043.aspx#23043

For something less expensive you could consider the Aego M (which I have) retailing at around £114. This gives a good sound and has the amp built in. It does have limitations but in the right situation is a real bargain.

A

Anonymous

looks like something for an ipod? does that not mean it's...... a bit weak? i cant imagine the power output being anything special and from that other thread she said other speakers would be a better choice? so they can make amps but not speakers???? and also, they dont have a name i have ever heard of? can it really be any good?

A

Anonymous

ok, popping down now to have a listen ;)

i'll let you know what i think :)

also, my motherboard is specifically designed for media so it's ausio capabilities are good! but do you think i should still be looking into getting a sound card? my experience of sound cards are:

they used to be an asset back in the day when computers needed that extra help and now they are only any good if you are doing high end editing in a professional environment???

should i look at getting a sound card for any reason??

will a sound card mean i wont have to buy that Beresford DAC? is it really a good addition to the system? i mean, that looks like im going from optical to phono with that device? why wouldnt i just go straight from phono - phono? am i right in wanting to use my optical out?

(sorry for seeming a lil stooopid here) have been out of the audio loop for a while

thanks again :)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="doodleman99"]
looks like something for an ipod? does that not mean it's...... a bit weak? i cant imagine the power output being anything special and from that other thread she said other speakers would be a better choice? so they can make amps but not speakers???? and also, they dont have a name i have ever heard of? can it really be any good?

[/quote]

Yes it comes with an iPod dock but is effectively a small (in size) amp with limited inputs/outputs. Thats why I suggested it as you said you wanted something along those lines. It did win a product of the year award 2007, so WhatHifi like it, but I can't say I've heard it myself. Suppose to be very good from the threads I've seen. If you've room for something larger I'd guess you'd be better off going for than.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts