Hi Res tracks for download

SteveR750

Now that HD tracks has practically closed, where else can you download remastered hi res albums? I have found itrax, but that's got what, all of four guitar albums....

I know about and am browsing Linn, but I'm not a huge classical fan, and the jazz albums leave me cold - I listened to a bit of Claire Martin and it's not my cup of tea. Blues would be another thing of course, but haven't found any yet (Martin Taylor great guitarist, but too much like Django for me).

SteveR750

Thanks Tino, I'll give that a try. Just bought a John Verity album from Linn 24/48 bit expensive at £18 but I like his playing anyway.

I've yet to a try a 24/192 which I'd like to even if it is to find out it's sounds no better to my ears than other 24 bit tracks.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Now that HD tracks has practically closed, where else can you download remastered hi res albums? I have found itrax, but that's got what, all of four guitar albums....

Have you considered ripping DVD Audio discs? I don't know what your music tastes are, but it's worth having a look at the bay or Amazon.

I've just picked up a Belle & Sebastian DVD-A for less than £3 delivered.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
This might be a daft question but will an 'ordinary' CD player play 24 bit tracks?

Paul

Paul, I'm afraid an ordinary CDP only handles Redbook Standard, which is 16 bit. For Hi-Res (24 bit), you need a player that can handle SACD/DVD-A, or a streamer/Dac that can do so.....with the highest available rate being 24/192.

SteveR750

Tim2010 said:
Will HDtracks shut down?

Unlikely. It was never licensed to sell outrside of the US, and payapl was a loophole that's now been closed. Let's hope there will be a European version sometime soon...

Overdose said:
Have you considered ripping DVD Audio discs? I don't know what your music tastes are, but it's worth having a look at the bay or Amazon.

I've just picked up a Belle & Sebastian DVD-A for less than £3 delivered.

No! I hadn't and thank you, great idea, unless they are 5.1 in which case that's no use....but I suspect (haven't even googled dvd-a) it's 2 channel audio as opposed to just DVD.....

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
No! I hadn't and thank you, great idea, unless they are 5.1 in which case that's no use....but I suspect (haven't even googled dvd-a) it's 2 channel audio as opposed to just DVD.....

Check before you buy, some of the DTS discs appear to be 5.1, but there are stereo discs also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio

I don't know what happens if you try to play a 5.1 soundtrack in stereo however.

SACD cannot be ripped in the usual sense, but it can be captured as a WAV file and converted with an ADC to 24bit, you need an audio interface and software to do this though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts