True 24bit hi res

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello

i have a query regarding reading about qobuz and its hi Rez download.

so this is better than CD for quality?

if I was to download a hi res album from qobuz how will I enjoy the quality of the album through my main hi fi? I have an arcam a19, arcam bdp300, kef r100 and I stream music through Apple TV. I'm looking at getting an arcam rdac air.

I know from reading the latest issue of what hi fi, I can get the app onkyo hf player I can put my hi res albums on there and listen with headphones to enjoy the hi res. But what would happen if I was just to stream it across to Apple TV Via my iPhone using AirPlay?

Dom

Dean Morris said:
Hello

i have a query regarding reading about qobuz and its hi Rez download.

so this is better than CD for quality?

if I was to download a hi res album from qobuz how will I enjoy the quality of the album through my main hi fi? I have an arcam a19, arcam bdp300, kef r100 and I stream music through Apple TV. I'm looking at getting an arcam rdac air.

I know from reading the latest issue of what hi fi, I can get the app onkyo hf player I can put my hi res albums on there and listen with headphones to enjoy the hi res. But what would happen if I was just to stream it across to Apple TV Via my iPhone using AirPlay?

24Bit means an insane noise floor, almost all DACs can't do it, reaching 20Bit effective.

So even if your iPhone reduced the Bit depth to 16Bit you would not notice, however your iPhone should play 24Bit fine.

My Nano won't play anything higher than 24Bit 48Khz, Your iPhone might be different, test it with a 24Bit 96 or 192Khz track, it should tell you.

Hope I helped.

K

keeper of the quays

I'm not techie..i have a 78 player! But if you download it to your phone? Then mini jack to rca to amp? I know it's a bit fiddly..but the dac on your phone is exceptionally good...worth a try first?

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!

i have A/B a hi res track, through hf player streamed the Apple TV. I first compared it to streaming the same track through iTunes and there is a huge difference. The hi res track has much more detail and life, better projection.

then I compared it too the same track on CD and the Cd was another step up.

in theory the hi res should be better so will try going direct into the amp as suggested. Then I will go to a friends setup and compare the same but going through the arcam rdac

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
First things first, there's no point trying to decide if 'hi-res' audio is better by comparing it to a cd - they are very likely from different masters. If you want to compare you should download a 'hi-res' track and convert it to 16/44.1 yourself, that way you know the only change is the sample rate - the master is the same. The other thing is using airplay and a atv, airplay will downsample the file to at least 16/44.1 and then your atv will upsample the sound to 16/48, so no matter what you play by this method you aren't listening in 'hi-res'. Fwiw, I wouldn't worry about it too much, I tested this for myself a couple of years ago and I couldn't hear any difference when resampling 'hi-res' files.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts