Hi-fi shake-up

Have been pondering off and on over the years about downgrading, but unsure of the end game. None of the all-in-ones really make me go "wow!". Having also looked at Electro amps, can't stand the idea of plastic facia. Actives? what do you think? Nah.

If I am serious about a wholesale change I need to look at my past: The days of lovely VU meters are few and far between within my budget. The Accuphase amps are a tempting proposition, but way beyond my budget. Vintage amps still look great but due to age they are a liability.

Going to listen to Wharfedale Dentons next week. Pioneer was always a cracking sonic match with Wharfies but the aesthetics of modern Pioneer stuff fails to inspire.

(Before anyone starts alluding, still love the SQ of my current set-up... I'm yearning for something a little different).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP,

Just listen to the music, like I have been doing this week - my amp woes are long forgotten and an amp upgrade has subsided, Just been playing loads of vinyl and really enjoying it.

The Brio is doing the business!

I do. Since buying the PMCs it is just switch on and enjoy. Somehow the collective looks doesn't really do it: Never liked the look of the Naim CDP and the Leema is okay, in modern terms, to look at but...

Perhaps I'm hitting a mid-life crisis - Just want big, dancing VU meters.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Integrated amp with DAC. Nice neat format. Cutting edge tech. Dancing meters. Supposed to sound good too.

TEAC_AI-501DA_Front__B__R640x320.png

Though I have to admit the aesthetics are a turn-off for me.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Or this for a tenner or get two, place them on your amp, et voila.

Nostalgia and kinetics all in one :grin:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Novelty-Dippy-Drinking-Bird/dp/B000A7MDS0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392848038&sr=8-3&keywords=dippy+bird

Tonestar1

I've got one of these under my sofabed in the guest room.... Will be resurrected when I finally move to a bigger house and get some space to get it set up. Still worth a fair bit even though its at around 20 years old and man did it go loud.. Killed a set of B&W 602 speakers with it at a new years party about seven years ago.

2011-02-04_224425_technics_sua909s_photo.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I do. Since buying the PMCs it is just switch on and enjoy. Somehow the collective looks doesn't really do it: Never liked the look of the Naim CDP and the Leema is okay, in modern terms, to look at but...

If you are feeling brave you can ship the Jungson JA-88D from Hong Kong for about a grand.

Pure Class A too, 80wpc.

image1.jpeg

Tonestar1

New Year party.... Too much alcohol... Chemical Brothers we are the night playing .... Window shaking silly volume... Blew both the tweeters and god knows if any further internal damage was caused. Speakers are still in the wardobe in the guest room too. I'm always threatening to turn the cabinets into something cool but haven't quite got around to it yet.

davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:

If you are feeling brave you can ship the Jungson JA-88D from Hong Kong for about a grand.

Pure Class A too, 80wpc.

image1.jpeg

Now that does look the biz. Tell me about the SQ?

Tonestar1 said:
I've got one of these under my sofabed in the guest room.... Will be resurrected when I finally move to a bigger house and get some space to get it set up. Still worth a fair bit even though its at around 20 years old and man did it go loud.. Killed a set of B&W 602 speakers with it at a new years party about seven years ago.

2011-02-04_224425_technics_sua909s_photo.jpg

Nice. Got anymore under the bed? :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
This calls for a second system. For the bedroom or somewhere else in the house, perhaps.

Maybe gives you the chance to indulge in things you felt were too risky or too out there for your main system. Cobble together something nostalgic from the 2nd hand market, or try your hand at some kit from brands without a strong following/distribution network in the UK.

I love my main system (Esoteric RZ-1 paired with PMC DB1is and an active sealed sub, currently all stowed away in a cupboard to keep it safe from my toddler :cry: ) but I'm currently also enjoying a desktop setup in my home office (NuForce Icon HDP working as DAC and preamp into some cheap Fostex PM04n. Not saying that actives are the way to go for you) which provide a different sound signature.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Have been pondering off and on over the years about downgrading, but unsure of the end game. None of the all-in-ones really make me go "wow!".

I just did this and 'downgraded' to a Naim Unitilite. I am still very happy with the sound and ask myself why i did not do this sooner. :rockout:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
we live in a bungalow, brimmed with equipement.

I live in a Tokyo apartment, what I'd give for the luxury of a bungalow 8)

Where there's a will :cheer:

Anyway, it's always fun to think of upgrades, changes of kit and audition different stuff, even if you don't end up making any changes.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Nahhhh!

I think you need the glow of valves 8) , how about a hybrid or a all valve amp... :?

Now there is a man with taste and vision . . . Buy Icon and it has an analogue bias meter on the front as well, turn the lights down for the 'blue haze', perfect atmosphere with a cup of Horlicks . . . :doh: CJSF

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:

Pure Class A too, 80wpc.

image1.jpeg

Now that does look the biz. Tell me about the SQ?

Have a look at what Troels Gravesen thought about it - he is a Danish loudspeaker designer who has used it in his test rig

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JungSon.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts