HI-FI combination int. amp. Cambridge CXA 60 with vintage Tannoy oxford speakers

Mendy B.

Mar 10, 2022
Visit site
Hello
Need advice and recommendation to combine combination int. amp. Cambridge CXA 60 with vintage Tannoy oxford speakers ,
performance and sound quality .
thanks

Mendy B.

Mar 10, 2022
Visit site
the question is only regarding how the quality of the sound results of this combination,
i already use the Tannoy Oxford , intend to buy the Cambridge CXA 60 or the 80 the question is
best sound .

As a speaker that was designed to work with low powered valve amps the CX60 should be ample but have no idea what the combo will sound like, you are going to have to figure that one out yourself as I don't think anyone else will be able to tell you anyhow. In my opinion the source then the speakers are what determine the resultant sound rather than the amp.
What made you decide on these two may I ask?

Reactions: shadders

Mendy B.

Mar 10, 2022
Visit site
As a speaker that was designed to work with low powered valve amps the CX60 should be ample but have no idea what the combo will sound like, you are going to have to figure that one out yourself as I don't think anyone else will be able to tell you anyhow. In my opinion the source then the speakers are what determine the resultant sound rather than the amp.
What made you decide on these two may I ask?
First i already have in use the Tannoy Oxford speakers , regarding the amplifier i am flexible to get recommendation from the form , as well recommended new modern up to date shelf speakers to use with the CX60

doifeellucky

What sources are you using, or intending to use? I have a CXA60 and got it primarily due to the digital inputs for TV via optical and a Chromecast Audio for streaming. I ask as the CXA60 doesn’t have a phono stage. I use it with Dali Zensor 3’s. I also use my Blu-ray player for CD via optical, but personally for me it offers no sonic improvement over Spotify via the Chromecast Audio puck, so tend not to bother any more.

Reactions: nopiano
First i already have in use the Tannoy Oxford speakers , regarding the amplifier i am flexible to get recommendation from the form , as well recommended new modern up to date shelf speakers to use with the CX60
What amplifier have you been using until now, and what sources do you have? Tuner, tape, Turntable, Streamer, CD player?

What is your budget for new speakers? And room size?

The Tannoy Oxford look like a budget item from the late 1970s and are likely to be pretty ropey now unless repaired professionally. How do they sound?

Last edited:

Mendy B.

Mar 10, 2022
Visit site
What amplifier have you been using until now, and what sources do you have? Tuner, tape, Turntable, Streamer, CD player?

What is your budget for new speakers? And room size?

The Tannoy Oxford look like a budget item from the late 1970s and are likely to be pretty ropey now unless repaired professionally. How do they sound?
speakers sounds excellent , unfortunately the room is small regarding budget 1200-1500k
i am using a turntable , CD player dec.

doifeellucky

As a CXA60 owner if I was in the market today the Audiolab 6000a (non play) would probably be at the top of my audition list. It includes a moving magnet phono stage which you’ll have to pay extra for on the CXA60. And you’ll be buying the Cambridge secondhand as it’s an old model. The 6000a is also £100 cheaper than the CXA61, the current model.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS