admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have a problem, I have a Philips HiFi and I've had this problem for a while now.

Sometimes well all the time when I'm listening to music this annoying high pitched sound comes out of the main HiFi (not the speakers) I have to turn it on and off again to make it stop even then it starts later on sometimes.

Does anyone know about this problem and can it be fixed, thanks in advance.

Regards

Cormac
emotion-2.gif

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps your wiring needs revisited or your terminals are faulty?

Start by unplugging, then disconnecting and reconnecting all your cables and wires.

Stevie

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]
Perhaps your wiring needs revisited or your terminals are faulty?

Start by unplugging, then disconnecting and reconnecting all your cables and wires.

Stevie

[/quote]

I tried before, I'll try it again just now, and update you if it works, thanks,

Though an Emac I used a school makes this noise too sometimes...

A

Anonymous

Hmm, sounds nasty. If it really is coming from the unit (i.e. it persists when the speakers are disconnected), then your hi fi is, in technical terminology, bust. Maybe you can isolate the problem to one bit (e.g. is it only when you're playing CDs rather than records for example, in which case it may be something mechanical like the CD transport)? Even so, it sounds like a case for replacement.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i had many years ago a philips record deck that smoked and would not turn off, even when unplugged from the mains.i took it back exchanged it for another one got it home and the same thing happened. never bought philips again.

A

Anonymous

Hi again,

I have a Philips one too, I have now located the problem....

The fan at the back is the problem. I looked around to find where it was coming out of, I then blew very hard into the back, the noise when, all high and low, then stopped. I think the fan then stops and to restart it I have to turn it on and off again...

What would happen if I disconnected the fan, just suck a pole in to stop it spinning... What would be the worst that would happen, when I stop it just now, the HiFi works exactly the same, but I am worried if I left it off for too long it might over heat.

Any suggestions? Thanks really am thankful for the help.

P.S I have a story how I fixed my aerial for the FM part using an other wire and a piece of blue tack! Interested, just shout and I will tell away!

Regards,

cormac

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I used to work for a company that made fan heaters, if this used to happen we recommended hoovering the fan and tapping the fan housing gently with a pencil.
The fan would suck in dust and that would cause the bearing to stick, I can't guarantee that it applies in your case, but it may be worth a try.

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for replying,

Sorry, tapping what part of the fan? I'll try hovering it, just now thanks.

Also I guess it's not really a HiFi I just call them that... it's a Philips MC-M350

416EJ5DHZPL._AA280_.jpg

lovely looking you must admit. :)

Cheers,

A

Anonymous

Lol yeah OK, update:

I tried hovering it, failed, the dust is still there, I think I'm going to need to take the casing off, and clean it directly, I think the back comes off easy... I hope XD

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]hoovering!!! :)

And it's vacuum-cleaning anyway ;)

[/quote]

Lol sorry...

I know Hoover are the inventors of vacuum-cleaners, but everyone just calls it hoover... Blue tac....Selotape...etc.

I took some screws off the back. There are 4 allon (sp) key screws on each side, (8 in total) Don't know if I should remove them, on the buttom; their are little holes, at the end there are two bits of metal coming out a tiny bit...

A

Anonymous

I had a Sony Surround Reciever which had a fan on it and it would only engage when there was a certain amount of watts outputting into the speakers - a load of rubbish is what it was because an amplifier gets just as hot when not outputting anything - thus it overheated frequently.

A

Anonymous

I think I know the problem now. The HiFi makes the noise because the Fan gets stuck. It make the noise, I looked at the fan and it had stopped. I blew again, and it made the noise go high and low and then the fan started again.

So I think it makes the noise because it can't spin for some reason but I don't believe

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Again

In theory, what you could try doing is blowing the fan through gently with an air-duster, though you would need to find a way to stop the impeller spinning. I am assuming that the fan is attached to the back of the casing, if so and there is a solid central section to the grilled part of the case where the fan is attached try tapping that gently, preferably with something that won't damage the casing, a pencil is normally good for this.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gwyndy"]Hi Again

In theory, what you could try doing is blowing the fan through gently with an air-duster, though you would need to find a way to stop the impeller spinning. I am assuming that the fan is attached to the back of the casing, if so and there is a solid central section to the grilled part of the case where the fan is attached try tapping that gently, preferably with something that won't damage the casing, a pencil is normally good for this.[/quote]

Hi, the fan is located at the top end so when looking at the HiFi from above you can see the propellers, I took some pictures with flash to show you what I mean, I will upload them in a second...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts