Question Help with Technics HIFI

benslingsby

Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,
Firstly, I know absolutely nothing about HiFi's so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've come into ownership of a technics tower hifi with stereo tuner amplifier (SA-CH550); stereo sound processor (SH-CH550); CD player (SL-CH550); cassette deck (RS-CH550); 3 way speaker system (SB-CH550) and 2 way speaker system SB-S70. Firstly, are these speakers any good? My intention is to use them for party speakers. If they are any good, I was wondering if I could switch out the complex stack of audio inputs and amp for a more simple one? The only input I need is aux for bluetooth. If this is possible, what amp could I buy?
If any photos would be of use to help you understand my situation I would be more than happy to send them.
Many thanks, Ben

Last edited:
Reactions: atomtrgg
Hi all,
Firstly, I know absolutely nothing about HiFi's so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've come into ownership of a technics tower hifi with stereo tuner amplifier (SA-CH550); stereo sound processor (SH-CH550); CD player (SL-CH550); cassette deck (RS-CH550); 3 way speaker system (SB-CH550) and 2 way speaker system SB-S70. Firstly, are these speakers any good? My intention is to use them for party speakers. If they are any good, I was wondering if I could switch out the complex stack of audio inputs and amp for a more simple one? The only input I need is aux for bluetooth. If this is possible, what amp could I buy?
If any photos would be of use to help you understand my situation I would be more than happy to send them.
Many thanks, Ben
if by party speakers you mean playing at high volume then look elsewhere....

Reactions: Gray

Gray

My intention is to use them for party speakers. If they are any good, I was wondering if I could switch out the complex stack of audio inputs and amp for a more simple one?
Note Al's comment above about party volume levels Ben.

On at least one of those old Technics stacks, the speakers were specific to the system - so you couldn't easily swap out to a 'normal' amp.
Have your speakers got a single pair of terminals (one red, one black)?
They might be useable for non-party levels (Parties have wrecked sterner speakers than those).

Last edited:

benslingsby

Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
Note Al's comment above about party volume levels Ben.

On at least one of those old Technics stacks, the speakers were specific to the system - so you couldn't easily swap out to a 'normal' amp.
Have your speakers got a single pair of terminals (one red, one black)?
They might be useable for non-party levels (Parties have wrecked sterner speakers than yours).
Ah okay I sort of thought it may be the case that they were specific. The speakers themselves just have a red and black cable going in - they appear to be wired in as opposed to plugged in. Same goes for their connection to the amp. There is no male/female join, just wired in. When I say wired in, they look easily removable - just by pushing down a plastic toggle.
Do you know what these speakers were designed to be used for then? I gather it is not designed to be used at high volume for extended periods?
Also I think I may have given the wrong impression by saying 'parties.' I currently use a 30W battery powered JBL and it is near enough perfectly loud. I wouldn't need much more volume at all from the technic speakers. I just wish to put these speakers to use and wanted to make them more practical.
Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
Are these the ones?

Almost certainly from a system sold as a package two or three decades ago, I’d expect. Might not be working as originally intended, but if they are they’ll work well enough though not exactly Hifi as we tend to think of it. And okay but not for a home disco!

There‘s probably some sort of input available even if all the components are meant to work together. Have you pics of the rear of the amp, and perhaps the front?

Gray

Ah okay I sort of thought it may be the case that they were specific. The speakers themselves just have a red and black cable going in - they appear to be wired in as opposed to plugged in. Same goes for their connection to the amp. There is no male/female join, just wired in. When I say wired in, they look easily removable - just by pushing down a plastic toggle.
No that's OK, if there's just a 2-core cable into spingclip terminals, then you could use another amp.
But the point about parties is that volume levels necessarily have to be high for prolonged periods (at least if the party's any good). You could get a decent, high powered amp, but those speakers would likely be distorted at best. If they failed, they might not do your new amp any favours either.

Having said that, for under £30 one of these would give you your single Aux input....and possibly as much volume as you need:

Reactions: Al ears

benslingsby

Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
Are these the ones?

Almost certainly from a system sold as a package two or three decades ago, I’d expect. Might not be working as originally intended, but if they are they’ll work well enough though not exactly Hifi as we tend to think of it. And okay but not for a home disco!

There‘s probably some sort of input available even if all the components are meant to work together. Have you pics of the rear of the amp, and perhaps the front?
Yes those are the ones. I found some information indicating they were produced in 1992. I'll attach some photos now.

Do you know what these speakers were designed to be used for then? I gather it is not designed to be used at high volume for extended periods?
Also I think I may have given the wrong impression by saying 'parties.' I currently use a 30W battery powered JBL and it is near enough perfectly loud. I wouldn't need much more volume at all from the technic speakers. I just wish to put these speakers to use and wanted to make them more practical.
Thank you for your reply.
if you don't need disco type levels then there is nothing wrong with these speakers driven by the Technics that up you have as long as it is still working.
Having said that, if you want to ditch the whole stack, what sort of price are you looking at spending for an amp?

benslingsby

Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
No that's OK, if there's just a 2-core cable into spingclip terminals, then you could use another amp.
But the point about parties is that volume levels necessarily have to be high for prolonged periods (at least if the party's any good). You could get a decent, high powered amp, but those speakers would likely be distorted at best. If they failed, they might not do your new amp any favours either.

Having said that, for under £30 one of these would give you your single Aux input....and possibly as much volume as you need:
Would I be able to get a similar power amp? The current one has a few electrical gremlins, that is another reason why I wish to replace it. When the speakers are currently on around 75% volume they are perfectly loud. Would this level of volume be a problem for the speakers?

Gray

Would I be able to get a similar power amp? The current one has a few electrical gremlins, that is another reason why I wish to replace it. When the speakers are currently on around 75% volume they are perfectly loud. Would this level of volume be a problem for the speakers?
That little Lepy amp is effectively a power amp (I've bought a few myself).
It would take the output from a Bluetooth receiver (or any other analogue line-level source).
As long as the speakers sound clean and undistorted then the volume level is not a problem.

benslingsby

Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
That little Lepy amp is effectively a power amp (I've bought a few myself).
It would take the output from a Bluetooth receiver (or any other analogue line-level source).
As long as the speakers sound clean and undistorted then the volume level is not a problem.
Sorry is lepy amp a product? If so could you send me a link of something that would be compatible with the speakers. Also as a side note, would the two SB-S70 speakers (which I have found out to be bought seperately) work with this amp as well? Allowing me to run four speakers from it. They attach via a different connection that reads SURROUND 8ohms.

Gray

Sorry is lepy amp a product? If so could you send me a link of something that would be compatible with the speakers. Also as a side note, would the two SB-S70 speakers (which I have found out to be bought seperately) work with this amp as well? Allowing me to run four speakers from it. They attach via a different connection that reads SURROUND 8ohms.
Yes, that Lepy amp (and similar little low cost amplifiers from other manufacturers) is a product.
It would do the same job as the amplifier part of your Technics stack - i.e. it will take an input, amplify it and power a pair of speakers.
If you intend to keep those speakers, it really only makes sense to buy any new amp if there is actually something wrong with your Technics (which you say there is).

As for driving 4 speakers....not recommended from one amplifier.
If you really wanted to, you could go for 2 cheap amps, feed the same (split) input to both and use one for each pair of speakers - or get a multi-channel AV amp to drive 4 (or more) speakers

Last edited:

benslingsby

Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
Yes, that Lepy amp (and similar little low cost amplifiers from other manufacturers) is a product.
It would do the same job as the amplifier part of your Technics stack - i.e. it will take an input, amplify it and power a pair of speakers.
If you intend to keep those speakers, it really only makes sense to buy any new amp if there is actually something wrong with your Technics (which you say there is).

As for driving 4 speakers....not recommended from one amplifier.
If you really wanted to, you could go for 2 cheap amps, feed the same (split) input to both and use one for each pair of speakers - or get a multi-channel AV amp to drive 4 (or more) speakers
Is there an output power I should be looking for with the amps? I see on the back of the speakers it says, "Impedance: 6ohms, Input 100W Music." Should I be trying to match this? The Lepy amps I've seen range from 20-45W.

Gray

I see on the back of the speakers it says, "Impedance: 6ohms, Input 100W Music." Should I be trying to match this?
No.
And no need to limit yourself to the Lepy brand - my suggestion was based mainly on value for money - because you don't need anything costly. Paying a bit more will get you something better-looking, with better build quality though.

There are plenty of small but good (often Chinese- made) amplifiers to choose from.
Some have built-in Bluetooth receivers, which would avoid the need for a separate box.
(Though you may already have a separate Bluetooth receiver to use).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts