Help with new AV Amp ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been prowling for a while but this is my first post ! I am hoping for some help. Please ? I am looking for a new home cinema amp that would work well with my set up. My budget is £1000. I am into mostly movies but stereo performance is very important too. Current amp is Marantz SR7300. ( Panasonic 37" Plasma, Marantz DV7001 DVD, B&W 603 Front, B&W LCR 600 and B&W DS6 Dipole rears, Monitor Audio Sub. ) I run a 5.1 system at the minute, and I don't see any change there and networking etc is not that important to me. I know Onkyo seems to be beating all comers at the minute, but is there anything else I should be looking at ? I was considering the Onkyo 875, but would worry about it being too much for my living room (15ft X 12ft ) Is that a valid concern ? I really would appreciate some advice and opinions. Thank you. Tim

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tim,

The Onkyo is the clear choice at that price currently - it does finesse as well as muscle, and is musical for an AV amp without compromising its core movie performance.

But i'd urge you to audition it - with your favourite CDs as well as music - to see what you think. If you're out listening to kit, you might also want to listen to this new £1000 Marantz - we haven't tested it yet, but it looks promising, and could suit your system.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Clare. I have not come across that one yet. I have however, managed to confuse the hell out of myself !!

I have listened to an Onkyo 805, Pioneer VX60 and an Arcam 300. There has not been one that I haven't liked !!

The Onkyo 805 was powerful, controlled and fine in stereo. As was the VX60.

The Arcam did sound really warm and engrossing, but I don't know if the beautiful stereo sound warrants compromising on the processing and specs of the other machines. But then also do I NEED those extras ?? And round in circles we go !!!!!

The Onkyo and Pioneer are under budget, and the Arcam 280 would be within budget.

I like a big sound with movies ( as we all do ), but we get back to the old stereo chestnut !!??

Anyone else running a similar set up or going through the same process ?

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
the Onkyo 875 is a very good choice for HD surround.
the Yamaha RX 1800 is the better choice for stereo.
Try both and decide then.
Regards

A

Anonymous

Just in case anoyone is interested, I made my choice. Unfortunately budget went out the window, ( sure, it's only money !
Ha ! ) I bought an Arcam AVR350. I just totally fell for the sound !! OK, so I loose out on some new formats and feautures, but this thing sounds unbelievable !! The power just keeps on coming. And it TOTALLY satisfies my stereo requirements ( that a few other amps had left me a bit unconvinced.)

I suppose it depends what you want from your system, I just KNOW I am never going to get bored of this beautiful, rich powerful sound.

Thanks for the replies. Regards. Tim

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
good choice also as you do not need HDMI 1.3.
Does anybody know when Arcam will bring a new AVR with the latest HDMI connections?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts