Help with Integrated Amp / Network Receiver and Speaker purchase

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
So I'm in the market for a new amplifier and set of speakers, and I'm hoping you can help me inform my purchase a little.

I'm after a receiver that has some vintage look and feel but also modern features such as bluetooth, network streaming, DAB, and also will play nicely with my record collection.
I'll mostly be using them for playing music, but they will double up to put the TV through too.

I've been eyeing up the:

Yamaha N602
and also the
Marantz NR 1200.

Are there any other amp/receivers in this price range that I've overlooked and I should research?
I'd also be interested in anyone that has experience with either, and especially both, and can tell me if there's any big differences between the two.
To be honest, I prefer the silver look of the Yam, but would be happy to pay a little more for the Marantz if there was a big reason to stump up a little more.

Secondly, speakers.

Ideally, I'd like a half-decent pair of floorstanders or at least some medium-size speakers (not bookshelf) that I can put on stands.
budget for speakers is around 1000 GBP / 1400 USD, but would again be happy to go a little higher if it was worth doing so. I understand I should put more budget behind speakers than amplifier.

So far on the shortlist is the:

Fyne Audio - F302
Dali Oberon 5
Klipsch R620 F
(all floorstanders)

I've read some reviews saying the Klipsch are very loud and they also seem to be listed mostly as home cinema speakers that puts me off a little.

My only other concern is for the next year or so before I move house they will be in an apartment, and anything too big and boomy might be a problem with the neighbours, so something that is a little controllable (bass-wise) could be very helpful. I don't need extensive bass volume.

I see little point in purchasing speakers that I can never really crank to their full potential.

Ideally, I'm looking for something more vintage sounding, with rounded highs, but still a new modern speaker.

Could anyone suggest any other speakers in this price range I should look into?
and also some medium-sized (not bookshelf) speakers that could go onto stands potentially, that would pair well with the amps above?

Thanks muchly for your help

Reactions: Lata001

jjbomber

Quad Vena II amp would be my choice with an extra streamer, such as an Arylic . It depends if you want an extra box or not. Quad has phono stage and bluetooth. The mahogany finish has that really vintage look and feel to it.

Reactions: Bumrah
Ideally, I'm looking for something more vintage sounding, with rounded highs, but still a new modern speaker.
The obvious choice there would be a Wharfedale Linton, assuming the reviews are accurate. It’s a consistent finding.

Are you in the UK, because there’s no substitute for listening and seeing what you might buy. Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks, Audio T and many independent dealers would love to welcome you.

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

The obvious choice there would be a Wharfedale Linton, assuming the reviews are accurate. It’s a consistent finding.

Are you in the UK, because there’s no substitute for listening and seeing what you might buy. Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks, Audio T and many independent dealers would love to welcome you.
This. I'd also look for a sh Naim Unitiqute 2 instead of the Yamaha and Marantz offerings. Or a Rega Brio with a Yamaha WXAD 10 (which comes in a small, lightweight box that you can tuck away out of sight).

Edit: ok, just noticed that you wanna run the TV through, so the second suggestion doesn't hold - maybe replace the Brio with a Cyrus One HD or the aforementioned Quad Vena 2.

No vintage look on any of these, unfortunately, but imo all better options than the Marantz and Yamaha.

D

Deleted member 160668

Hi,

I would suggest going to your local dealer. They will be able to guide you with what suits, is in your budget, and crucially pairs well - I.e. they sound good together. Speaker and amp matching is important. You also need to get your ears around some pairs to decide what you like and prefer.

Whatever I or anyone on here recommend will not help you compared to a trip to hear for yourself.

I will pick out a couple of sentences though from your post:

I've read some reviews saying the Klipsch are very loud
Dont get hung up on this. Most speakers would go loud enough to make it uncomfortable. Your ears will likely give up before the speaker does. Just because it can doesn't mean you will.

I'd like a half-decent pair of floorstanders or at least some medium-size speakers (not bookshelf) that I can put on stands.
Bookshelf is mislabelled. These should also be placed on stands. Keep bookshelf in your list of possibles as otherwise you are doing yourself a disservice.

I see little point in purchasing speakers that I can never really crank to their full potential
As above, unless you are "party-man", it's unlikely you would ever get to top whack of your amp or speakers. Your ears would hurt and your neighbours would get pissed off.

So in sum up. Get yourself down the the dealers for a listen. Let us know how you get on and what you buy.

Edit: Also lose the vintage look requirement. Your are restricting what you'll end up with. Your system will produce beautiful music, therefore as long as it doesn't look like a dead horse who cares? You could even have the amp out of view if it is not visually sexy enough for you. This will open up more possibilities and you'll get a better result.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts