Help with first turntable setup!

HardyTrout

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey!
First poster here!

Im just about to assemble my first vintage turntable setup and i need some pointers!
I mostly listen to progressive rock and psychadelic music like Pink Floyd and Genesis.

The setup will hopefully look like this:

Technics 1200MK2 Turntable
NAD 3020A Amp
Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2 Speakers

I would appreciate some guidance. It that a reasonably good setup?
Also, what cables will be needed

Anything else i need to consider?

All the best
G

EekOZ

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
HardyTrout said:
Hey! First poster here!

Im just about to assemble my first vintage turntable setup and i need some pointers! I mostly listen to progressive rock and psychadelic music like Pink Floyd and Genesis.

The setup will hopefully look like this:

Technics 1200MK2 Turntable NAD 3020A Amp Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2 Speakers

I would appreciate some guidance. It that a reasonably good setup? Also, what cables will be needed

Anything else i need to consider?

All the best G

I think it's a pretty decent setup. Technics 1200MK2... a true classic!

NAD3020 - Depends on who you ask hahaha, but not a bad amp. I found the built-in phono stage to be quite good, so it should pair nicely with your technics.

As for the B&W 685 s2 speakers on your NAD amp, as long as the speakers aren't hard to drive you'll be ok. I've not yet had the chance to listen to the 685 s2's, but own a pair of the original 685's, and they're not too hard to drive (but they do like a bit of volume to open up), so if the s2's are similar in any way, then the amp should handle them fine.

I love the sound of B&W's, especially with vinyl, so I'm sure your 685's will give you some good listening pleasure.

I would just recommend you get some good cables and interconnects, no need to break the bank, just don't skimp and take the cheapest pair.

For interconnects, Chord Company's generally a good start I think. If on a budget, consider their C-lines, or for (quite) a bit more, there's always the Chameleon Plus. QED reference audio 40 also a good option.

As for speaker cable, I've not tried too many, but of the ones I do know, I've recently purchases Wireworld Luna 7 and find them to be really good and not too 'fussy', best bang for buck perhaps imo.

Hope this helps and just have fun. Don't be too worried about the pairing...just enjoy the experience! :p

Just a couple of thoughts on what, at first, seems to be a decent ensemble.

If that is all you have you shouldn't need interconnects as mentioned above as the only cable you have is the forearm cable to the amp. Speaker cables are very much a matter of choice but anything thicker than bell-wire should suffice.

You don't mention room size so I am not sure if you might be better off with floorstanding speakers to give you the bass you might require with the music you listen to. If these are out make sure you get a decent pair of speaker stands for those 685's.

Most importantly you don't mention which cartridge you plan to use on the turntable, this could be crucial.

Also, if you are just starting with vinyl you need to consider your bank balance. :)

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I think your choice of amp and speakers will yield excellent results; I've long been a fan of mixing older amps with modern speakers and vice versa too.The phono stages in the NAD amps such as the 3020 and 3130 are excellent; they're open, airy and have solid stereo imaging. Indeed, they're far better than many of the rather more expensive phono stages that I've acquired over the years to be honest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts