Hey Folks,

Long time reader...first time poster. I was hoping I could pick your brains regarding my first every turntable/Hifi setup. I will be listening to music from all genres (from Pink Floyd to Joy Division, The Beatles to A Tribe Called Quest and David Bowie etc.) Below are the components I've been looking at but could use some advice as I want to get the most out of my vinyl while not spending a fortune on the setup and leave room to upgrade in the future.

Turtable: Pro-ject RPM 1 Carbon

Speakers (sub, amp/receiver): While not a basshead I do like my lows so I defintely want a subwoofer. But when it comes to the speakers, sub, and amp/receiver I'm not sure where to start (how about active speakers and subs?). I'd like to be in the $1000-$1300 range but Im not sure how realistic that is...so I'd extend my budget a bit if I was getting my money's worth (but if you can save me money then I wont complain either). Also, not sure what your thoughts are on used components but I'd love to hear them as they can be a real money saver.

PhonoAmp: I have no clue what phono-amp I should get. For now I'd be happy with something simple as I will want to upgrade in the future when I upgrade the speaker system.

Thanks in advance for all of your help everyone.

-Jay

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
An awful lot depends on whether you wish to get really good sound from your system or simply want to be a vinyl 'hipster'.

If it is the former, I would strongly recommend increasing the budget for the player to as much as you can afford consistent with getting a decent integrated amplifier with built in phono stage and a pair of standmount speakers.

You will also need to budget for an effective turntable support if you want clean bass, even more so of you plan to use a subwoofer, deep bass and budget turntables to not co-exist easily.

Thanks for the reply Dave. This is just the first chance I've had to actually start investing in vinyl and a hifi setup. And I am the type of person who will sit with my headphones on and just listen to whol albums (no multitasking).

At $600-700 I thought the new rpm 1 Carbon was a good choice (anti skating, decoupled motor, belt drive etc.. In fact im ordering it in from the UK as its not available anywhere else yet). Obviously this is budget for high end listeners im just getting started and I thought that this would be one of the best turntables in my price range. Can you think of any models that would greatly improve sound quality without costing a ton more?

And I understand that you get what you pay for when it comes to speakers and receivers/amps..but since I'm new to this I dont know what brands/models I can look at within my price range ($1300ish) that are actually half decent (and work well together). Remember I'm just starting out so I want some room to upgrade when I can afford it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Understand entirely, it can be a real minefield for anyone genuinely interested in quality vinyl playback.

First, some basics. Vinyl bassed systems are much more sensitive to setup and system matching than, say, cd based systems. this is, essentially, because turntables are microphonic. Ie the soundwaves in the room interfere with the turntable, arm and cartridge which then 'feeds back' through the amplifier and speakers to the turntable (again). This causes a thickening of the bass, a lack of clarity and punch and in some cases much worse.

The 'feed back' signal gets into the player in one of two ways, either through the air or through the structure of the building and the turntable support. Good budget player like the Project use resiliant feet and rigid construction to keep airborn feed back to a minimum, the RPM models going even further by minimising there own structure and getting rid of much of the plinth.

However this does little to reject the feedback that is coming through the structure, the best way to reduce this with players of this type is to mount them onto a wallshelf, one that is 'decoupled' from the wall. If this is impossible the best support for the player should be the lightest, most rigid structure you can find.

As I said, budget for the best RPM model you can afford and keep the amp and speakers quite simple, avoid speakers with heavy bass as it makes the problems described above far more complex, look for speed and clarity of bass at this time, the weight can come later as the system evolves.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I was in a similar position to you about a year ago, with similar budget and music taste. I ended up going with a system which mutually complimented the separates I had. I think you can't go wrong with Qacoustics speakers at this price, particularly Concept 20s and a decent Marantz intregrated amp to go with that. The PM6005 is a very capable and flexible amp for the price and they sound great with the 20s. Food for thought.. this would be under your budget as well, so you can hook it all up with decent cables and interconnects.

Be careful though, I only bought my first separates system a year ago.. and now I have spent two and a half grand on new speakers and amp. Hi Fi is a slippery slope!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hybridauth_Google_116647553837545747396 said:
I see what you're saying. Thats really helpful. Thanks Dave.

Specific recommendations are always difficlt when you are in a different marketplace.

For a UK buyer with this kind of budget I would suggest something like the denon PMA720 amplifier and Q Acoustics 2020i or Dali Zenzor 1 speakers, available for less than £400.

I would spend everything else on the player.

rainsoothe

hi

I think dave is right in suggesting increasing the turntable budget.

since you live in the US you should defenately check out the VPI Nomad. It's 999$ i think, but it has a built-in phono stage and also a headphone amp. Alternatively, maybe an ex-dem or used or B-stock VPI Traveler - but that would require a separate phono stage or an amp with one, and it's more expensive anyway i think. My other turntable alternatives would be Rega RP3 Exact, or used Technics SL1200/1210 which you can upgrade later, but this requires tinkering and investing time.

As for amp and speakers, I would second the above sugestion (Denon PMA 720AE and the Q Acoustics 2020i or Dali Zensor1) and add Dali Zensor 3, Wharfedale Diamond 220 and XTZ 93.23 mkII speakers, and Marantz PM5005 or PM6005 amp.

Another alternative is geting a preamp and active speakers - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (with the upgrades) and Yamaha HS5 or Adam A5X speakers (+ the VPI Nomad ofc).

MIND YOU: Most (or all if I exclude the Maverick Audio i think) of the above amps have built-in phono-stages, so if you DO go for the Nomad (which has a phono stage of its own) or get another TT and a separate phono-stage, do not plug the phonostage into the phonostage of the amp. If you think the Nomad is too expensive or you don't like how it sounds (you really should audition it), the built-in phono stage of the abovementioned amps is a good bonus, since you don't need to invest in a separate one - and for this budget, you shouldn't need to.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Consider spending less on the TT. If you end up sticking with vinyl, you'll want much better than is being proposed. So, I would be tempted to spend much less on a quality, hassle free second hand TT. You should consider, in my opinion, Technics SL-7, Tecnichs SL-QL1 and Technics SL-DL1. You can, if you're lucky, pick these up for peanuts. Get started with this and you won't be disappointed and you'll have more to start with to spend elsewhere.

Im back after a few days of solid research and here is what I've come up with. (oh and btw I live in Australia and not the US in case that factors into your suggestions regarding availability and such)

Turntable: Sticking with the new RPM 1 Carbon

Amp: Marantz PM5005

Speakers: Q Acoustics Concept 20 (Had a listen and thought they were great). Also tossing up the Q Acoustic 2050i's but I plan on getting a sub so I think I prefer how standmounts offer a bit more detail (but I didnt get too long of a chance to listen to them to compare, and Im no expert so I'd love to hear your thoughts. Im going back to the store next week to make my final decision). Also, I'd consider pairing both a sub.

Unfortnuately they didnt have the Dali's in stock so I couldnt listen to them and I did find that I liked the 20s more than the Wharefedales.

Speaker Stands: If I go with the Concept 20s im looking at picking up a pair of the 2010st stands (which are for the 2020is but since they are the same size I figured they should work). I am confortable retrofitting the plates and screwing in new holes to match the 20s if they dont line up. I just think the concept 20 speakers stands are hideous and at twice the price...why bother?

Sub: Im looking at the Q Acoustics 2070si. Unfortunately they didn't have it available when I came in but said someone else ordered one and they will get a couple from the other store so I will get to test it out, as well as see how it pairs with the speakers (which I imagine is pretty good since they are from the same line) when I go in next week. But I'll test out a few more in the store...any suggestions on subs that are good for music (I may also find they arent necessary if I go with the 2050i's but we will see). The sub is also something I may add at a later date after testing my system for a while regardless of which speakers I choose.

Isolation: For now I will do a little DIY and see what I can accomplish. If that doesnt suffice Im going to look at picking up either a wall mounted or table top isolation platform.

So needless to say my budget has gone up. Its sitting at just under $2000 for the hifi equiptment + the TT (Another $650 with shipping)(A little bit more if I go with the floorstanding speakers). But after doing the research I just dont think I can get much quality sound for anything less.

So thanks for all of your help everyone. Without you I wouldn't have even known where to start and would have still been considering AVRs and a 5.1 setup so it can be used for movies and music. But I think a 2.1 (possible 2.0) setup for movies will be just fine as the TT will get WAY more use than the TV and getting the most out of my vinyl is my priority.

Thanks again

rainsoothe

you auditioned and got what you liked - just the way it should be. Congrats and enjoy :)

(btw, for movies i'm quite satisfied with my 2.0, its' more then enough, and music is way more important to me anyway)

TRENDING THREADS