help with dragging me into the 21st century plz

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
hi folks,looked at a vortexbox automatic cd ripping nas(BigBoss posted link),sounds fantastic..for me....but,i have no idea how to incorperate into my system:)

if possible,could someone offer some straight forward advice as to how i can build for my needs,which are to store and access my cd collection,and possably add downloaded tunes....think storing blu-ray may be stretching it..!!

cheers

graham

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
thanks for your reply,no,don't have iphone or such like.

i would like to access stored media via my avr and tv,if possible,think one room is enough at the moment :doh:

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
not at this time Michael no,it's a case of saving anyway....just don't want to waste money on replacing things in the future....although my cdp and bdp will be redudant.

did internet search and saw a thing that could rip blu rays,is that possible?

michael hoy

Have a word with Allan @Ideal - AV he is a very helpful and knowledgeable person.

http://www.ideal-av.co.uk/index.htm

Streaming music is one thing, Blu ray takes a little thought and planning (£££'s too).

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi GSB

As Michael Hoy suggests this done need careful planning around your needs and to 'future proof' as best as possible too.

I have a Vortexbox Appliance 2TB with CD/DVD ripper installed. I now have my DVD/CD collection loaded and it is almost full already. DVD's are 4-6 GB's each as MKV files and CD's around 350 MB's each as FLAC files. I connect mine to my Yamaha RX V3067 via ethernet cable/Router/ethernet cable. Sound quality (5.1 stereo) is fabulous through the Yamaha internal DAC's. I control this using the Yamaha App through my Ipad. You could buy a Squeezebox Touch or another streamer as the interface between Vortexbox and Yamaha if you don't want to use the App.

To play the MKV video files I use the Boxee Box from D-Link which works really well with the Vortexbox - 1080 video and surround sound are both excellent.

Blu Ray files will be 20 - 30+GB's each so 100 movies would take 2-3+TB alone....so you need to plan your storage capacity as well as how you want to get the Blu ray onto it - via computer of standalone device like the vortexbox. You can get custom Vortexbox Appliances made e.g 9TB with Bluray drive for example (would have been a better way for me to go too to be honest - now I would have to plan for another unit if I want to store my Blu rays too). Don't know what the cost of such a beast is however.

Hope that helps in your thinking and preparation for your purchases.....

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Julian.....your set-up sounds like what i have in mind.....i will wait to see if i can get the extra storage before buying anything,i'm in no rush but realy glad my wishes can lawfully be a reality!! :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts