Help with 1983 Planar 3 - playing in reverse!

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Re-assembled my Planar 3 today after debating what to do with it for a while. Decided my Arcam black box doesn't really suit extended listening periods. I had a few problems with the deck before but as i paid £15 (yes, £15 on gumtree) I thought it just needed a good service. After sort of servicing it myself today it still has an issue, after a few minutes of playing, it slows down until it eventually starts playing backwards.

Seeing as Im not trying to watch out for sublyminal messages this is an issue! I can't quite afford to upgrade the deck with the newer motor system you can get so I think i will just buy a replacement in good nik'. Does anyone know what the best 'pre-sticky pad' motor is for a planar 3, i know they used a few different branded ones.

Or.... I have been told I might just need to replace a capacitor/transistor?? on the tiny PCB isntead of a whole new motor. I could potentially just buy this from any electronics shop and get a friend to solder it in. mine is sort of cracked and i think when it gets to operational temp, it fails, this would explain the few mins of normal speed before it happens i think.

Apart form that rest of the deck is perfect, the anti-skate even works, pretty much every R200 has had that fail by know from what i gather.

If anyone could give me some advice or thoughts about this id really appreciate it. THANKS.

A

Anonymous

Yes, that's the most likely solution. Replace the capacitor and it should be fine. If it isn't, then contact your friendly Rega dealer or Rega themselves for information.

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I think I need a .22uF 400v capacitor, was this the same for all the early planars?

Does anyone know where to obtain a suitable replacement.

Thanks again...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts