Question Yamaha A-S801 Yellow Light Blinking After Around 10 Mins Music

hifi-u

Dec 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I recently purchased a Yamaha A-S801 refurbished. It sounds great. However, after about 10 minutes of playing the music, the unit shutdown by itself and yellow blinking lights.

Here are the few settings for the setup:
  • Optical input
  • A+B speaker
  • Low impedance
  • bi-wiring to Wharfdale 12.4
Using the same setting, I also run it through a Yamaha A-S701 without any issue.

Is this an indication of a bad unit?

Thank you all for your help.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
See the owners manual troubeshooting section 'This unit turns off suddenly and the power indicator blinks'.
Are you bi wiring or bi amping? (selecting A+B speakers would only be required if you are bi amping).

hifi-u

Dec 17, 2023
Visit site
I tried with speaker A with the pair of speakers as well. Same result. AS801 shuts down after 10 mins.

I checked the options in the owner's manual as well. Not luck either.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Obviously it could be a faulty unit, but I suspect that you may have an issue with how you are wiring your speakers.
If you have removed the terminal straps from the speakers, put them back and connect them using a standard 2 wire connection. I would also highly recommend trying another set of speaker cables to eliminate any issues with possible faulty cables.
If you are using bare wires at the terminals check that no wires are touching the other terminals.
Also check that the speaker resistance switch is set correctly on the back of the amp. With the 12.4's wired with a standard connection it should be on high.
Bi amping these speakers from the 801 may actually be overstressing the amp. as it would need to be set on low and the Wharfdales impedance can be as low as 5 ohms which the 801 is not designed for in a bi amp mode.

hifi-u

Dec 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions. I tried 801 with single wiring and tried it with another set of speakers. Same result - shuts down in 10 minutes. It is a faulty unit. I am returning the purchase.

Again, appreciate all the help!

TRENDING THREADS