Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Folks,

I will be auditioning a selection of bookshelf speakers this weekend:

Quad 12L

B&W 685

Monitor Audio Silver RS1

What are your thought? I will be running them on a Roksan Kandy Amp and sourced with Marantz KI Sig CD Player.

I listen to all sorts of music and I'm after detail and dynamics.

Do you have any other suggestions in the same sort of price range?

Many thanks in advance.

Kub

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I think the RS1s could be a little bright on the end of your Rok, and the 685s are great if you listen loud, but can be a little muddy when played quietly. Not sure about the Quads as I haven't heard them.

Might be worth trying the Epos M5s as well...or even the M5i's if you can stretch to them...

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Personally none of the standmounters on your short list get my juices flowing. I would compare them with the easier to drive (than the 685s) Focal 706V.

focal_chorus-706V_small.jpg

A

Anonymous

gpi,

can you tell me what's good about the Focal 706's?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chesterfieldhouse"]
gpi,

[/quote]

Crystal clear tweeter, absolutely fabulous. A bit light on bass though. You might also consider the Chorus 806, look a bit more classier, better finish, and a more solid bottom end. Still though, the 706's are great speakers.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="chesterfieldhouse"]
gpi,

[/quote]

They have a good all-round balance and are not bright (as some would say) from my listening experiences. Good focus and grip, a wide dynamic range, good detailed top end and will go down lower than their quoted spec of 47Hz, as much as 30Hz, aided by their front port. Excellent build quality and finish too for the price. Quite sensitive at 88dB/w/m so happy with valves or solid state amplification.

A

Anonymous

I would stay away from the 685. I had them and though they were good.

Until I went to a dealer to look for an amp, and auditioned with the 685, and then with the CM1, and EPOS M5 and M12.
Even the CM1 was better, the EPOSs far better. The 685 sounded like you had a blanket on them.

This is my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Look also at the new Revolver Music series 1, superb, very musical, natural sounding, small size but produce a big soundstage, smooth treble response, very good speakers.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
if you can stretch your budget i listened to some pmc db1i's on my kandy cd and amp today, sounded fantastic with very good bass and natural sounding mid-range with a lot of detail. a clear improvement in every area to my dynaudio 42's but while i was expecting an improved bass was very impressed with the treble which sounded very realistic. i also tried proac studio 110's and while they sound great - very fast, the treble was too prominent with my kit.

A

Anonymous

What about Dynaudio Audience 42 - surely the best sounding compact speaker around for under £400. Don't miss listening to them.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i would agree with rev. if you are fixed with your budget, the dyn's sound lovely. i compared mine to kef iq5se and m.a. br5's and rs1's and the dyn's killed them
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Just done a web search and found some brand new for £325! That is a lot of speaker for that price and IMO would be very hard to better.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Kubs"]
Folks,

I will be auditioning a selection of bookshelf speakers this weekend:

Quad 12L

B&W 685

Monitor Audio Silver RS1

What are your thought? I will be running them on a Roksan Kandy Amp and sourced with Marantz KI Sig CD Player.

I listen to all sorts of music and I'm after detail and dynamics.

Do you have any other suggestions in the same sort of price range?

Many thanks in advance.

Kub
[/quote]

Hi Kub, I've test all three on my Kandy Amp and CDP and out of them would pick the B&Ws then the Quads. The MAs are far too bright for me and the Quads a bit duller than the BWs. I don't think the BWs are the perfect match for the Kandy but they're pretty good and value for money I think. I've heard Epos M5s being agood match but haven't heard them.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]Yup, 685s are definitely ones to audition before you buy. I love them, but I've seen many people who don't on this forum.[/quote]

I had a pair of B&W DM10 large standmounts bought new in about 1981/2. I do like their standmounts but I feel they struggle to compete with many other brands at this budget level (not including the 805S, which aren't at budget level). When I auditioned the 601/602 S3s (can't remember which model) with the Quad 11L and Monitor Audio B2, the MAs won hands down. B&W shine when it comes to floorstanders IMO and that is their forte. I would definitely include the new 685s though in any audition.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I haven't heard the 685s, but I have owned a pair of 602 S3s for the last 6 years and I love them. I can't believe (and reviews back this up) that B&W would have taken a backwards step with their 'bread & butter' speaker series.

When I pension off my 602s (not anytime soon if I have anything to say about it!) the 685s will be top of any audition list.

The main thing to take away from this thread is the advise. DO NOT buy a speaker 'cos the guy who owns KEF/B&W/M.A/etc etc says he loves them, you have to make up your own mind.
emotion-1.gif

Good luck with your decision. I envy you! I love trying & buying new kit!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts