Ribbon tweeters - speaker shortlist

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi busb, I see you own the Quadral C8 speakers - I've only just come across them and would be interested in your thoughts on their performance ... Strengths, weaknesses etc ... Please share...

Bluezip82

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I have the Goldenear Triton Seven's and they have a folded ribbon tweeter which I rate very highly.

The treble is smooth and refined with no harshness, worth a demo if you can find some.

insider9

Bluezip82 said:
I have the Goldenear Triton Seven's and they have a folded ribbon tweeter which I rate very highly.

The treble is smooth and refined with no harshness, worth a demo if you can find some.
Good call, gorgeous looking and the price seems reasonable for floorstanders. Thanks

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have always been intrigued by the AUDIOSMILE KENSAI speakers, they have a ribbon tweeter. Not actually heard them but they have great reviews and are small and work well near walls which is what made me interested in them....

http://www.audiosmile.com/meet-kensai.html

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/audiosmile-kensai--pound;1503/10184

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Maybe not in the league of some mentioned on here but am currently home demoing a pair of ProAc Response D20r with a ribbon tweeter. For some time I have been looking for something to match the detail of the Kudos Super 20's I have but add a little more bottom end. I was/am sceptical that a £2.7k speaker could match a £4.4k speaker and, up to now, I have probably allowed that to colour my judgement.

However after a few days of regularly A/B'ing them my ears are telling me I really really like the ProAcs and, back on topic, the ribbon tweeter is absolutely sublime. Never heard one before and am pleasantly surprised.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
I've got a demo of Quad S-1 booked for Saturday (sadly S-2 were not available). With how delayed the forum's posts appear nowadays might see a mini review next week.

I think the S2 and floorstanders look great. The S1 is very small.

insider9

drummerman said:
insider9 said:
I've got a demo of Quad S-1 booked for Saturday (sadly S-2 were not available). With how delayed the forum's posts appear nowadays might see a mini review next week.

I think the S2 and floorstanders look great. The S1 is very small.
Agreed, S-2 would be ideal for the size of my room but they don't stock it :( S-1 should have overall similar feel. If it's what I like I might just order S-2 online without a demo it's very well priced for what I think it will offer.

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'm looking for suggestions of speakers that incorporate ribbon tweeters. This is with a long view to upgrading as I've not seen a list as such anywhere. Links to external websites are welcome if such lists already exist. May be relevant to someone in the future and would be good to have them all in one place.

Money no object attitude as well as age not relevant. Exotic or not, all are welcome as long as they have ribbons.

I've no idea what to expect from this thread. Specific models or ranges welcome or manufacturers who usually incorporate ribbon. Both standmount and floorstanders. Whether you heard or not and whether you have anything good or bad to say.

I appreciate more experienced members may know more speakers than they care to write down in this thread if so please can you just mention the ones you've been most impressed with.

To start it all off, here's some I can think of:

Roksan - Kandy K2 TR5 - Darius S1

Quad - S series - Z series

Monitor Audio - GX and Gold series - PL and Platinum series

Apogee speakers

Red Rose Music speakers

Thanks all for participating, in advance
good to know and is good to update the list, ps. i will check these speakers but in the meantime do you know some very good ribbon speaker for less than 500 euro i want not pay more than 1000 euro for any speakers i prefer to put the extra money in a very good headphone, anyway i have not money now i am just researching

insider9

bubobubo said:
insider9 said:
I'm looking for suggestions of speakers that incorporate ribbon tweeters. This is with a long view to upgrading as I've not seen a list as such anywhere. Links to external websites are welcome if such lists already exist. May be relevant to someone in the future and would be good to have them all in one place.

Money no object attitude as well as age not relevant. Exotic or not, all are welcome as long as they have ribbons.

I've no idea what to expect from this thread. Specific models or ranges welcome or manufacturers who usually incorporate ribbon. Both standmount and floorstanders. Whether you heard or not and whether you have anything good or bad to say.

I appreciate more experienced members may know more speakers than they care to write down in this thread if so please can you just mention the ones you've been most impressed with.

To start it all off, here's some I can think of:

Roksan - Kandy K2 TR5 - Darius S1

Quad - S series - Z series

Monitor Audio - GX and Gold series - PL and Platinum series

Apogee speakers

Red Rose Music speakers

Thanks all for participating, in advance
good to know and is good to update the list, ps. i will check these speakers but in the meantime do you know some very good ribbon speaker for less than 500 euro i want not pay more than 1000 euro for any speakers i prefer to put the extra money in a very good headphone, anyway i have not money now i am just researching
If you don't mind them not being completely neutral then my former Roksan Kandy K2 TR5 take some beating. They can be made to sound almost neutral if you have them upside down.

Not the most popular model, since they originally retailed at around £1,000. When they come up for sale second hand you should be able to get them within your budget. There's also Dali Ikon range with ribbon supertweeters.

Otherwise you'd need be looking at something much older as ribbons aren't usually incorporated in budget speakers so even second hand you may have to pay for the privilege :)

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
If you don't mind them not being completely neutral then my former Roksan Kandy K2 TR5 take some beating. ...

Otherwise you'd need be looking at something much older as ribbons aren't usually incorporated in budget speakers so even second hand you may have to pay for the privilege :)
thanks for the information i hear in my life the first time a ribbon speaker, the one you say and i never had hear so clearity before exept from a big electrostatic speaker, but the ribbon sound sound more natural than electrostatic in my opiniom, i isten to this youtube video and it feels very good:

http://www.whathifi.com/roksan/kandy-k2-tr-5/review

ps. i wonder how would the sound be with a tube amp with these speakers? *biggrin*

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
THIS MUST BE MY DREAM RIBBON TWETER SPEAKER I LIKE IT SINGLE WIRE AND LITLE FOR MY ROOM AND IS IN MY MAXIMUN 1000 EURO PRICE IF I HAD THE MONEY:

*give_rose*

Motion15small.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkcoD2N9Zkk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts