Speaker upgrade

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
After dragging my old speakers and turntable from the loft I managed to find a good
deal on an open box Marantz PM6006. I'm using my old Ariston Q deck to listen to
my old records and a Chromecast Audio through the amp. The speakers are my 35
year old Mordaunt Short MS25ti and sound pretty good with the amp but a just too
bright at higher levels so looking to get some new or Second hand speakers.
I am looking a around a £500 budget. Probably leaning towards bookshelf mainly
because the listening room is just the spare room that is 3.5 x 3.2 meters but not
ruling out floor standing just think I could get better bookshelf with the budget I
have. Looking for speakers that have decent base but also clear sounding. Would
hopefully be auditioning the speaker unless i go down the secon hand route.
How about these :-
KEF Q350 or R100
Monitor Audio Silver 50
Dali Zensor 3
B & W 685 S2
B&W CM1
Focal Aria 906 (on ebay)
Obviously I need speakers that will match the amp which is 45w and that the amp
can power and not sure if any of these would be ok.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’d try the new mission q speaker around £350i think as at indulgence. Not sure when it comes out but if it builds on the lx 2 it will be great for the price.

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
insider9 said:
What music do you mostly listen to? Also are you using standard Ortofon OM-5e that came with the Q-Deck?

Pertty wide range really from Prog Rock, Beatles , Electronic/House , Indie . Not into Classical though. And I presume the Q Deck is the same cartridge as you say, I havent replaced it since i've had it. Do you think an upgrade would benefit the sound a lot ?

There is a good deal on Ebay for a mint pair of Focal,s but heard that you have to really drive them to get the best out of them and are they not a bit too overpowering for the size of my room ?

Keep hearing that Kef are a good match for Marantz.

The speakers may be the issue, but an amplifier struggling to drive the speakers at high volume (roughly around the 12 o'clock position on the volume control) can also become hard/harsh/bright etc. You admit you've never changed the stylus - your problem might be solved immediately by getting a new stylus, or even upgrading to an OM10 stylus.

Buying products because there's a good deal on them doesn't necessarily provide what people are looking for - more often than not it usually leads to more upgrading and money spent because they're not the right products for the job, and are usually bought based on price rather than sound quality. Do yourself a favour - before spending more money, get your system into a dealer and locate the problem. It could save you money in the long run.

insider9

If vinyl is a significant part of your listening I would put some money away for stylus. I had Q-Deck with stock OM5e and it sounded quite bright. Luckily you can replace stylus only with that Ortofon. Should you do it OM20 at £125 would be a decent upgrade. That's only if you listen to a fair amount of records.

As to speakers what have you heard and what did you like so far? Speakers are very personal so it would be good to know that.

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
davidf said:
The speakers may be the issue, but an amplifier struggling to drive the speakers at high volume (roughly around the 12 o'clock position on the volume control) can also become hard/harsh/bright etc.

I usually get to around 11/12 o'clock at the most when playing music so speakers or amp who knows. I've only had the amp around a month so don't really want to be replacing that or is it a case that i really need a more powerfull amp. Not sure how easy the Mordaunt's are to drive.

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
insider9 said:
If vinyl is a significant part of your listening I would put some money away for stylus. I had Q-Deck with stock OM5e and it sounded quite bright. Luckily you can replace stylus only with that Ortofon. Should you do it OM20 at £125 would be a decent upgrade. That's only if you listen to a fair amount of records.

As to speakers what have you heard and what did you like so far? Speakers are very personal so it would be good to know that.

Probably 60/40 between Streaming to Vinyl so probably an OM10 would be a decent upgrade.

Not heard any speakers yet but going to my local hifi shop next week to demo a few.

insider9

I'd say don't decide anything until you've done this. Ask to hear a number of speakers from well below your budget to ones above.

Go in with an open mind. Take music you enjoy and make notes if you have to. Treat this as a way of making a shortlist as opposed to choosing the right speakers.

gasolin

Al ears said:
gasolin said:
Mission LX-2's are one of the best resonable price book shelf speakers

Not too bright,good bass,can play pretty loud,better than the Q Acoustics 3020

+1 and should be a good match for Marantz.

Indeed they do, i found dali zensor 1 and Q acoustics 3020 to be to bright to listen to at really loud levels and for longer time (zensor, 3020 better for long listening sessions) and a bit bass light, they can sound to open, bright when they lack a bit bass, msiion lx-2 has a good warm balance

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
The B&W CM1's were on my growing list but I'm stuggleing to find somwhere local to listen to them. Do you think the PM6006 would be ok with them ?

gasolin

no 84 db sensitivity, okay my active studio monitors are only 2x12 watt (but nice clear and easy to hear) my studio monitors are near field speaker but a speaker like the B&W CM1 is for a whole room no near field listening, i would say atleast 100watt in 8 ohm, if you have to push a small amp to make music loud you might more often be close to where the amp might distort, 84 db is in the low end

If it's the old one 100watt pr channel in 8 ohm is minimum (81 db )

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/bw_cm1/

frequency_on1530.gif

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I have some older MS speakers to you, it’s amazing what they can do with all new polypropylene caps in the crossovers, if you didn’t fancy changing the speakers

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Dynaudio Excite X16 Loudspeakers

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owned/dynaudio-excite-x16-loudspeakers/

ATC SCM7 Loudspeakers

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owned/atc-scm7-loudspeakers/

Or how about something a bit different and exotic;

Aliante Linear Speakers - Pair

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIANTE-LINEAR-speakers-pair-/262383507040

gasolin

mond said:

For that price you could get a pair of Dynaudio Emit m10's (or use emit m20) that have a warm sound and a very good bass,deep and punchy, they can handle alot of power (also the old dm 2/5 and 2/6) so 100 clean watt is no challenge

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Well managed to get to the local HiFi shop today and listened to a few speakers.

Q Acoustics Concept 20. Monitor Audio Silver 1. Monitor Audio Silver 6's. Some Acoustic Energy Bookshelf (cant remember the model). Q Acoustics 3050 and a second hand pair of Kef Q100.

All these were demo'd with a PM6005 . The two that i liked best were the Acoustics 3050 and the Kef Q100.

I would love to here the Kef Q350 or even the R100's but i'm not far away with the QA 3050's

rainsoothe

hilts10 said:
Well managed to get to the local HiFi shop today and listened to a few speakers.

Q Acoustics Concept 20. Monitor Audio Silver 1. Monitor Audio Silver 6's. Some Acoustic Energy Bookshelf (cant remember the model). Q Acoustics 3050 and a second hand pair of Kef Q100.

All these were demo'd with a PM6005 . The two that i liked best were the Acoustics 3050 and the Kef Q100.

I would love to here the Kef Q350 or even the R100's but i'm not far away with the QA 3050's

Hi. If you liked the Q Acoustics, you will have no problem with Focal Aria 906. @insider9 - the Arias are not like the majority of Focal speakers, meaning they aren't bright or ear-piercing, and they have great scale. Very good speakers indeed, and will totally outclass the likes of Q Acoustics 3000 series, and easy to drive. My second option on your list, OP, would be CM1, but I don't think the PM6006 is enough to drive them properly. Take a punt on the Focals if they're still available, you won't regret it. And, if you will, you can always sell them for what you paid for them, so...

Also, try to place them on some nice stands, like Atacama Nexus 6i - and fill those with sand like 2/3 of the way.

insider9

rainsoothe said:
@insider9 - the Arias are not like the majority of Focal speakers, meaning they aren't bright or ear-piercing, and they have great scale. Very good speakers indeed, and will totally outclass the likes of Q Acoustics 3000 series, and easy to drive.

Also, try to place them on some nice stands, like Atacama Nexus 6i - and fill those with sand like 2/3 of the way.

I've never heard a pair so will have to take your word for it. I'd love to hear a pair given a chance.

Fully agree on stands and that QAcoustics can be outclassed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts