Speaker upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Hi. If you liked the Q Acoustics, you will have no problem with Focal Aria 906. @insider9 - the Arias are not like the majority of Focal speakers, meaning they aren't bright or ear-piercing, and they have great scale. Very good speakers indeed, and will totally outclass the likes of Q Acoustics 3000 series, and easy to drive. My second option on your list, OP, would be CM1, but I don't think the PM6006 is enough to drive them properly. Take a punt on the Focals if they're still available, you won't regret it. And, if you will, you can always sell them for what you paid for them, so...

Also, try to place them on some nice stands, like Atacama Nexus 6i - and fill those with sand like 2/3 of the way.

Thanks for the advice, I will see if the Focal's are still availiable and probably go for it, I would have to take your word for it as I would be buying without listening but like you say if I didn't like them I could always re-sell them.

Would the Focal's be better than the Kef Q350 or R100 ?

rainsoothe

Haven't heard the Q350, the R100 might work (although I think the R series Kef need something able to "move" them properly). Also, forgot to +1 Dynaudio Emit - if you're able to give them some space, they're also worth considering. For me, the Arias sound very balanced, treble is smooth, they sound open but are very cohesive and musical. And again, the scale is very nice.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hilts10 said:

It is too risky to make a decision on what somebody else prefers eg. I don't like the Focals (though they are voiced more sympathetically than previous ones), so would take the R100s every time.

CnoEvil said:
hilts10 said:

It is too risky to make a decision on what somebody else prefers eg. I don't like the Focals (though they are voiced more sympathetically than previous ones), so would take the R100s every time.

+1 Having heard both, and they are both good speakers in the right settings, the R100s might be a safer bet.

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Well think I'm gonna go with the Focal's I've secured a good deal (£400) for a mint as new pair. I'm going to demo them next week and if I like will get them. They defo look the part and hopefully they will sound the part.

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:
hilts10 said:

+1 Having heard both, and they are both good speakers in the right settings, the R100s might be a safer bet.

Maybe, but don't forget OP is running a 45 w/ch Marantz, and 86db vs 89.5db sensitivity matters imo. "Right settings" means an amp that can make the R100 boogie, which I doubt the Marantz is. BUT by all means, OP should try them - I agree my comment might've been a bit too enthusiastic, given the dislike I have towards the R series bookshelf speakers.

OP - hope you enjoy them, and yes - if you can, audition as much stuff as you can before purchasing, preferably in your own room - or replicate your setup the best you can.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Last week had a listen to the new 700 serie of B&W. Heard all 6 models, driven by a NAD M32. The small 707 s2 is a boombox at louder volumes. The 706 s2 is better but the 705 s2 with the seperate tweeterhousing is a great speaker. I like it even better than the 702 s2. (I don't know why a two-way system sounds better to me than a three-way system).

So, if B&W is still a possibility, go for the new 700 series. Is's better than the old CM serie which always has been a strange fellow in the B&W family.

gasolin

Reijer said:
Last week had a listen to the new 700 serie of B&W. Heard all 6 models, driven by a NAD M32. The small 707 s2 is a boombox at louder volumes. The 706 s2 is better but the 705 s2 with the seperate tweeterhousing is a great speaker. I like it even better than the 702 s2. (I don't know why a two-way system sounds better to me than a three-way system).

So, if B&W is still a possibility, go for the new 700 series. Is's better than the old CM serie which always has been a strange fellow in the B&W family.

Mabye because the same unit plays midrange and bass with not crossover between the midrange and bass

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have'nt heard the focal's. In my humble opinion, floor standers have more sensitivity and are easier to drive. Where as bookshelves need more power and decent stands too, and end up occupying the same amount of space in your room. So the marantz should ideally do better with floor standers.

I haven't heard the Q3050 either, but I have other qacoustics speakers and really like them a lot. I had to pair my concept 40's with a amp 3 times their price to really appreciate what they are capable of. So I wouldn't write off the Q3050 easily. They give solid value at their asking price. Since you liked the Q3050 during your audition stage, try to see if you can audition some focal floorstanders too.

And on a completely different track, as Davidf and Britain suggested, you can also change the tone arm of your rig and change the caps in the crossover of your speakers to get a significant change in the sound. All the best :)

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
If you liked the Q Acoustics, you will have no problem with Focal Aria 906. @insider9 - the Arias are not like the majority of Focal speakers, meaning they aren't bright or ear-piercing, and they have great scale. Very good speakers indeed, and will totally outclass the likes of Q Acoustics 3000 series, and easy to drive.Take a punt on the Focals if they're still available, you won't regret it.

Well I went for the Focal's in the end. Managed to demo them although they were playing them through a Naim system and liked the sound of them.

IMO I have got an absolute bargain, they are pretty much brand new only being used for around 5 hours. I know its not all about a bargain but I have them all hooked up at home and giving them a test drive. I was a bit unsure if my Marantz PM6006 would be enough for these but I'm very impressed. They are very clear, more than enough bass without any need for loudness compensation, the top end is crisp hearing all the different instuments without any of the harshness that my Mordaunt Shorts gave out and seperation is very good. This is playing from Chromcast Audio and Vinyl on my Ariston Q Deck which is in definate need of an upgrade of either a new turntable or probably for now a new cartridge.

I'm sure with a better amp they would sound even better, but to my ears I'm super impressed with the performance with my PM6006 and they won't be even run in yet.

Cheers for all the advice.

TRENDING THREADS