Help Please

Theslop1

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm going to be buying the Quad Vena Amplifier and some speakers to go with it.

I wanted the Quad s-2 speakers, but i've just spoken to a sales advisor who reccomended the Kefq100s or the Q acoustic concept 20 over the quads. He advised that the 'signature sound of the quad speakers does not match well with the quad vena amplifier'. Is there any truth in that? out of those 3 speakers which one would you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Theslop1 said:
Hi All,

?

I wanted the Quad s-2 speakers, but i've just spoken to a sales advisor who reccomended the Kefq100s or the Q acoustic concept 20  over the quads. He advised that the 'signature sound of the quad speakers does not match well with the quad vena amplifier'. Is there any truth in that? out of those 3 speakers which one would you suggest?

?

Thanks for your help.

?

Tom

How does the salesman know what sound suits you

Theslop1

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately the nearest shop that sells the Quad S-2 is quite far away so would be good to get a few opinions to see if it is worth the journey.. The Q Acoustics and Kef are available at most hifi shops and would be much easier to audition.

matthewpiano

Does the dealer advising you against the Quad speakers stock them or not?

£600 is a considerable amount of money, so surely it's worth going to have a listen to the S2s with the Vena so you can make your own mind up. It may also be worth trying the likes of Dali Opticon and Rega RX1 to explore the different possibilities.

rmatthew

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I agree with matthewpiano, you need to listen to see whether you like the sound. If far away then just treat it as a day out, it will be worth the time investment to get the right speakers.

It sounds like the sales advisor doesn't stock the S-2's otherwise they would have suggested listening to all 3. They want to make a sale so will naturally promote what they stock.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Make a day trip out of it. Go there and listen to the Quad speakers plus anything the shop has in stock which is in your budget.

Maybe also swing by some other shops like a Sevenoaks or Audio-T (if they are nearby or on route) to listen to others and some more advice.

It will be a day well spent in the long run.

Theslop1

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
The Shop do stock the S2 which is why i thought there might be some truth in what the salesman was saying. but ofcourse would much rather an opinion from this forum from people with some knowledge who dont have a sale to make!

Theslop1 said:
The Shop do stock the S2 which is why i thought there might be some truth in what the salesman was saying. but ofcourse would much rather an opinion from this forum from people with some knowledge who dont have a sale to make!

Personally, if the shop does sell them, then ask to listen to them with the Vena. Don't let a sales rep tell you what you'll hear. Do you honestly think Quad would make a speaker that wasn't good with the Vena? By all accounts they are very good indeed.

While you are there try to listen to the new Z series as well although these may be a little too inefficient for said amplifier. :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Speak to the dealer and get him to prove what he says by demonstration.

Get him to play the all Quad system, then get him to play the combination he recommends.

Words are cheap, this systen is not, get him to prove what he says by doing the demonstration.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Theslop1 said:
He advised that the 'signature sound of the quad speakers does not match well with the quad vena amplifier'. Is there any truth in that? out of those 3 speakers which one would you suggest?

I can wholeheartedly recommend the speakers that I use with my Vena (Audio-Note AX-Two), but then I would wouldn't I?

However, there are only a few UK stockists and they cost £750 per pair. (Price when I bought them last year.)

Actually forget it.

They look pretty boring compared to some of the very 'technical' looking gear you are after and I think I am destined to be the only person to ever partner AX-Twos with a Quad Vena and I rather like that little bit of 'exclusivity' :)

P.S. Don't worry about what the bloke in the shop thinks. Buy what you like best. The staff in my nearest hi-fi shop thought the Quad S2s sound amazing with the Vena so there you go.

matthewpiano

davedotco said:

Get him to play the all Quad system, then get him to play the combination he recommends.

Words are cheap, this systen is not, get him to prove what he says by doing the demonstration.
100% agree.

chebby said:
Theslop1 said:
He advised that the 'signature sound of the quad speakers does not match well with the quad vena amplifier'. Is there any truth in that? out of those 3 speakers which one would you suggest?

I can wholeheartedly recommend the speakers that I use with my Vena (Audio-Note AX-Two), but then I would wouldn't I?

However, there are only a few UK stockists and they cost £750 per pair. (Price when I bought them last year.)

Actually forget it.

They look pretty boring compared to some of the very 'technical' looking gear you are after and I think I am destined to be the only person to ever partner AX-Twos with a Quad Vena and I rather like that little bit of 'exclusivity' :)

P.S. Don't worry about what the bloke in the shop thinks. Buy what you like best. The staff in my nearest hi-fi shop thought the Quad S2s sound amazing with the Vena so there you go.

Stick with your Audionotes chebby. I would dearly like to know what the Vena would sound like through a pair of those newish Heco Direkt's. ;-)

davedotco said:

I quite agree. I think the S2's would be an ideal pairing in a compact Quad system.

Get the dealer to set up a demo for you.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:

I quite agree. I think the S2's would be an ideal pairing in a compact Quad system.

Get the dealer to set up a demo for you.

I have never heard the Quad setup so have no view on their suitability, but I have to say that the dealer is in a very good position to know so do not dismiss his views completely out of hand.

Re-reading my post it may sound a littlr confrontational, which was not meant. The dealer may or may not have a point (as a dealer we used to routinely hold views that were contrary to 'conventional' wisdom), so speak to him and ask him to demonstrate what he means.

If the dealer has anything about him at all, he will be happy to do so.

matthewpiano

Maybe it would also be helpful to ask him to demonstrate an amplifier that he feels is a good pairing with the S2s. As Dave says, it is worth listening to the dealer's experience if he can back it up in the demonstration. Ultimately though, it is your choice, so if you end up disagreeing with the dealer, stick with your own preferences. Any good dealer will fully respect that, but probably enjoy the opportunity to demonstrate and discuss with you.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
If I had to choose out of the Kefs or the Q's I would go for the Q Acoustics every time. However that is from experience with the speakers mentioned but different amps, I've never heard a Quad Vena although I do like the spec and reviews I also do not have your ears - only you can decide. I must admit because of a lack of decent hifi shops in my area I tend to buy 'blind' which is why I tend to go 2nd hand so I can sell on at no loss if I don't like the kit. I wouldn't spend over £500 without a listen though...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Arrrrrrrrghah!

What is wrong with you people?

To the OP - listen to the assistant, chances are he has listened to the various combo's and is giving you good advise.

Do listen to his recommendations against what you were considering.

If you're there in the shop with the kit any advice you receive Will be far more relevant than anything you can expect to receive here.

Trust your ears and allow yourself to be guided......good luck.

Oh, and let us know what you decide.

Thompsonuxb said:
Arrrrrrrrghah!

To the OP - listen to the assistant, chances are he has listened to the various combo's and is giving you good advise.

If you're there in the shop with the kit any advice you receive Will be far more relevant than anything you can expect to receive here.

I quite agree but the assistants ears are not his. He should have at least been allowed to hear the combo and make make up his own mind, should he not?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Arrrrrrrrghah!

I quite agree but the assistants ears are not his. He should have at least been allowed to hear the combo and make make up his own mind, should he not?

??????.....?

K

keeper of the quays

Theslop1 said:
Hi All,

?

I wanted the Quad s-2 speakers, but i've just spoken to a sales advisor who reccomended the Kefq100s or the Q acoustic concept 20  over the quads. He advised that the 'signature sound of the quad speakers does not match well with the quad vena amplifier'. Is there any truth in that? out of those 3 speakers which one would you suggest?

?

Thanks for your help.

?

Tom
so you want to buy a quad amp and the shop is advising you not to go with quad speakers? Because of Signature sound of quad speaker' I can think of two reasons why they suggest the other two alternatives? Want to get shot of some speakers they can't sell? Or the profit margin is higher with the alternatives? Get the speakers you want..the quad ones! Different league..i have a quad amp..its proper hifi..best get proper speakers for it in my opinion..

Thompsonuxb said:
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Arrrrrrrrghah!

??????.....?

Perhaps a little badly worded. The assistant might have a valid point but this is based purely on what he (the assistant) hears and his formulated opinion.

This may not agree with what the OP hears.

Surely a good assistant will firstly give the customer what they want and secondly offer suggestions for improvement, then let the customer decide.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
Theslop1 said:
Hi All,

I wanted the Quad s-2 speakers, but i've just spoken to a sales advisor who reccomended the Kefq100s or the Q acoustic concept 20 over the quads. He advised that the 'signature sound of the quad speakers does not match well with the quad vena amplifier'. Is there any truth in that? out of those 3 speakers which one would you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

Tom
so you want to buy a quad amp and the shop is advising you not to go with quad speakers? Because of Signature sound of quad speaker' I can think of two reasons why they suggest the other two alternatives? Want to get shot of some speakers they can't sell? Or the profit margin is higher with the alternatives? Get the speakers you want..the quad ones! Different league..i have a quad amp..its proper hifi..best get proper speakers for it in my opinion..

That a lot of hi-fi sales people can not be @rsed to offer good advice and proper demonstrations if you generally believe such garbage. what is the point of even consulting a dealer if this is your attitude.

Whilst this attitude was not as commonplace back when I was a dealer, it was certainly around.

This is one of the reasons I gave up selling hi-fi, this kind of attitude became tedious.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to confess I'm not sure why so many think these sales assistance are trying to con punters.

Its not a high flying post. Most who do this kind of work are enthusiastic about hifi and will strive to bring others the best sound per buck.

If they provide advise chances are its valid and worth consideration. This does not suggest the buyer should follow blindly. In most cases the equ is on site and can be demod.

But enter with an open mind and listen to suggested systems. If you're parting with good money it's the only way of walking away happy.

Going into this with q mindset 'they're only trying to rob me' will most likely leave you dissatisfied once the money is spent.

matthewpiano

Quad's history and the wonderful hi-fi it has made doesn't automatically guarantee that every new product is going to be better than the competition. Differentiating Quad as 'real hi-fi' and Q Acoustics as something less based on the name isn't helpful to anyone.

Like people in any profession, hi-fi dealers are a mixed bag. The best will spend time with you, listen to your needs, share their thoughts and advice based on experience, and provide good demonstrations to support this and give you opportunity to make your own mind up. Find one of those and give their experience and advice the respect it deserves. In the end the final decision about which option you buy is yours, but informing that decision with advice and demonstration from a good dealer is sensible.

K

keeper of the quays

davedotco said:
keeper of the quays said:
Theslop1 said:
Hi All,

?

?

Thanks for your help.

?

Tom

That a lot of hi-fi sales people can not be @rsed to offer good advice and proper demonstrations if you generally believe such garbage. what is the point of even consulting a dealer if this is your attitude.

Whilst this attitude was not as commonplace back when I was a dealer, it was certainly around.?

This is one of the reasons I gave up selling hi-fi, this kind of attitude became tedious.

I would agree that salespeople sell..what they sell and what they actually want to sell is a different matter?

TRENDING THREADS