i'm trying to replace the belt drive for my panasonic sg240. i've tried two outlets online, but on both times i've been sent the wrong belt, which is too tight and thus plays records too quickly. my original belt was round in shape, whereas the incorrect replacements i've been sent have been ribbons.

could anyone advise on where i can find the correct belt drive, or what i should be searching for beyond 'panasonic sg240'?

i love the hi-fi but miss my records!

many thanks

Daniel Jopling said:
i'm trying to replace the belt drive for my panasonic sg240. i've tried two outlets online, but on both times i've been sent the wrong belt, which is too tight and thus plays records too quickly. my original belt was round in shape, whereas the incorrect replacements i've been sent have been ribbons.

could anyone advise on where i can find the correct belt drive, or what i should be searching for beyond 'panasonic sg240'?

i love the hi-fi but miss my records!

many thanks

Welcome to the forum. This is going to be a tricky one as the 240 is an old music centre and most panasonic turntables did use belts. I can only suggest you accurately measure the old one and look for a round-section belt of identical length.

It may be time to upgrade.

To build on AlEars' reply, the reason it runs faster on the wrong belt is nothing to do with tightness. That has no effect on speed, though longer-term it might wear the motor bearing. The reason a flat belt runs faster is that it is sitting on the flanges of your grooved pulley, so traces a larger diameter. Any round belt that fits will suffice, even a rubber band might work in an emergency.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts