Help needed for turntable newbeie

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
lindsayt said:
So, CJSF, you said "Without experiance you are heading into a mine field in the second hand market". But you have no first hand experience of buying a 2nd hand turntable yourself. You are advising the OP not to try something that you have never tried yourself.

My Grandma once advised me not to go on holiday to Spain, even though she had never been herself.

As said, I will not get into an argument, work it out. I've been in and around the hifi business since 1980, my experiance says one occasionaly comes across narrow minded and bigoted know-it-alls looking for a fight, avoid them like the plague.

Thank you for the personal insult, as given the context, you are calling me a narrow minded bigoted know-it-all.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
altruistic.lemon said:
No offence, but that list is a bit unrealistic. I only know of Commonwealth because they made broadcast decks in Oz, don't think you'd find them here. The EMCs again are broadcast decks and you're unlikely to find them except at stellar prices. Same goes for the Garrard and the Thorens TD 124, which also has the disadvantage it can't take MC cartridges. If you can find a decent SP10 for reasonable money then you're not only lucky but will be able to sell it for a profit. The Revox are linear trackers which require a special kit if you want to change the cartridge. There are lots of others in your list which are as rare as hens teeth and command top dollarfor what they are.

Nothing wrong with advising second hand, but something like the Technics SL1200 or 1210, assuming a non-DJ one, or belt drives like the Thorens TD 160 or 150, Ariston, Linn, Systemdek etc are robust decks that perform well and are easy to find. There's also a stack of info about them on the web, including the manuals.

Me, I'd go new, something like the Clearaudio Concept, and get the dealer to set it up, after which you can forget about fiddling until the day comes when you need to change the cartridge. It'll also sound as good if not better than most of the decks mentioned in that list.

Last time I was looking to buy a turntable, EMT 948's were selling for about £1450 - sometimes more, sometimes less, but mostly at about that price. Admittedly EMT prices have hardened in the last couple of years, but there's still a reasonable chance of finding one for the OP's budget of £1500 - especially if he looks on German ebay. 948's also come with very good quality built in phono and linestage amplification. All you need is a volume control and a power amp to plug them into. They are as fuss free and turn-key a record player as you can get. And most importantly the sound quality is at least of the level of a £15k new LP12 SE or £15k new SME 20/12a Koetsu combination.

Thorens TD124's take MC cartidges. I don't know why you said they didn't?

The TD124 has a massive iron platter. MC+massive iron platter = no go zone.

I take it you haven't heard a Clearaudio. Also notice you didn't comment on the Commonwealth - have you ever seen or heard one?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would book a demo at your local dealer and takes some of your dad's LPs with you and see how you get on, if you like the sound then start trying different TTs out. I tried a Thorens out at my last demo and was not impressed at all but could have been the condition of the LP which did not help but soundwise I was disappointed maybe Im too used to cds. I think for certain music lps are probably better, ie Led Zeppelin.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
CJSF said:
lindsayt said:
So, CJSF, you said "Without experiance you are heading into a mine field in the second hand market". But you have no first hand experience of buying a 2nd hand turntable yourself. You are advising the OP not to try something that you have never tried yourself.

My Grandma once advised me not to go on holiday to Spain, even though she had never been herself.

As said, I will not get into an argument, work it out. I've been in and around the hifi business since 1980, my experiance says one occasionaly comes across narrow minded and bigoted know-it-alls looking for a fight, avoid them like the plague.

Thank you for the personal insult, as given the context, you are calling me a narrow minded bigoted know-it-all.

Lindsayt, you cold take my coment as advise, I've been around a long time . . . . :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
You were pretty rude, CJSF, old mate. In normal, face to face conversation an apology would be in order.

Perhaps its time one stood up to unfair criticism, perhaps the worm has turned . . . ?

Gravenhurst

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Come on now guys I agree with altruistic lemon, let’s keep this friendly, you wouldn’t speak to each other like that face to face and you have both been very helpful.

I’m still weighing up various ideas including the RP3 jerry klinger :)

I have a few more questions about second hand TTs

1. What is the better table Thorens 150 or 160?

2. How do the Thorens 150, 160 and Linn sondek LP12 compare to new Turntables would you say they are in the Roksan Radius and Mitchell Gyrodeck league or Roksan Xerxes and Mitchell orb league?

3. Would these TTs be very upgradable and take top quality arms and cartridges?

4. How well made are these TTs is it likely I could be buying trouble and if I did how hard would it be for someone to fix it?

5. Is ebay the only place to get second hand TTs or are there other places?

Thanks again

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Gravenhurst said:
Come on now guys I agree with altruistic lemon, let’s keep this friendly, you wouldn’t speak to each other like that face to face and you have both been very helpful.

Sincer appologies to you Gravenhurst, spoiling your thread. However, I suspect you dont know the 'history'? These days, I will not be pushed around by anyone *****.

I hope you get what you are looking for, used is great 'if you know what you are doing', its not nessiserily the TT persay, but the setting up that can be a 'mine field', especialy with suspended chassies. In the case of old direct drive and idler drives, becase of their age (and/or technology) a rebuild is often required, after which they can be the best.

The simplest rout with least pit falls, is a good dealer who will hold your hand, in the early stages? . . . dont try to run before you can walk . . . ;)

Appologies for bad spelling . . .

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts