Help - Need guidance on Turntable purchase

Toubia

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
In cleaning up my garage recently (first time in over a decade!), I realised how much vinyl I have been sitting on (mostly 80s and 90s). And in a moment of madness I decided it is about time I unleash those LPs on my home system - but you guessed it - I needed to buy a record player first. Trolling from one hi fi store to another and with varying opinions from sales reps, few recommendations came through:

1. Roksan Radius 5.2 (including tone arm, but undecided on cartridge yet)

2. Rega RP8 (including tone arm, but undecided on cartridge yet)

3. Michell Gyrodec SE (undecided on tone arm and cartridge)

I enjoy listening to a full rich punchy sound (a bit on the bassy side of things) and I have a budget of £1500 to £2000. I'd appreciate any recommendations, thoughts, or insights into this.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
From an engineering point of view I would choose the Gyrodeck and add a low/medium mass arm which should give enough options as to cartridges in the future. You can add mass to an arm but it is far more difficult to remove it. - Something of the likes by Origin Live, Audio Note or the latest Jelco would probably be a good start and there are plenty of Rega's, modified or otherwise. - As to cartridges, Ortofon's and Benz are said to be more neutral and even handed than some others. My Ortofon certainly is but I prefer that sound though it may not what you are looking for.

There is an interesting discussion goiing on over at vinylengine about high/low mass turntable designs and I have to say that there is a lot of criticism about Rega's 'high rigidity/low mass/low energy storage' theory. - This perhaps makes sense for lower price tables as they are cheaper to produce but perhaps not for the money you consider spending. -

As for the RP8, you have a light, rigid platform with no suspension or any useful isolation, susceptible to both airborne and ground vibration as well as possible motor induced feedback. . - A wall mounted platform with some additional damping is almost mandatory, adding further cost. - The arm is nice though.

There are also rumours about quality control issues at Rega but my guess is that they simply sell more than many other manufacturers and are therefore more exposed to negative criticism to that end.

Finally, whatever you get, buy a lid!

All in my opinion only

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
There are also rumours about quality control issues at Rega but my guess is that they simply sell more than many other manufacturers and are therefore more exposed to negative criticism to that end.

Do you know what these are?

BTW I know it is way below budget - But I have just bought an RP6/Exact - it is fantastic for the money!

Hey but what do I know - it scares me as to what £1500-2000 can buy!

No more new TTs here, but I have just ordered the GT Sub Platter - allegedly a must have upgrade for an RP6, and in hindsight maybe I should of gone for a Dynavector 10x5 or Goldring 1042

Finally, whatever you get, buy a lid!

Interesting comment, are you a lid down kinda guy?

Personally I have lid open when playing, but lately lid down to keep dust - no sonic differences can be heard. From an visual point of view I like the lid up when playing.

Toubia

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Drummerman, thank you for your timely response on this - it is greatly appreciated. Out of curiosity, what Ortofon are you using?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
@Steve

The quality control problems relate to speed stability and cartridge problems but I probably wouldn't pay to much attention to it as Rega probably sell way more than many others. - I probably shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

As to lids, very handy things and I would certainly not buy a TT without one. - I use it open or closed, whichever way it happens and dont usually take it off but the lid and chassis are isolated, at least more isolated than an unsuspended one.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Toubia said:
Drummerman, thank you for your timely response on this - it is greatly appreciated. Out of curiosity, what Ortofon are you using?

Just a VMS20 II (moving iron) with nude mounted .2 elliptical, nothing fancy and whatever you choose will be better no doubt but I believe most Ortofons adhere somewhat to the house sound ie. neutral and evenly balanced. It is certainly what I get compared to a newly bought (also cheap) Shure M97xe which sounds slightly coloured (warm and somewhat softer) in comparison. Someone mentioned Dynavector and from what I've heard, they may well be what you are looking for.

Its just finding the right cartridge/arm combination.

There are people with vastly more vinyl experience on here so hopefully they can give some useful advise.

regards

Toubia

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
The WTL sounded very foreign to me - so checked out their website only to find they are my neighbourly New Zealanders (since I live in Australia)!!! I also did read some articles today on Clearaudio Concept and the general consensus seems to be mainly great reviews. Thanks for pointing this one out.

Cheers!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Toubia said:
The WTL sounded very foreign to me - so checked out their website only to find they are my neighbourly New Zealanders (since I live in Australia)!!! I also did read some articles today on Clearaudio Concept and the general consensus seems to be mainly great reviews. Thanks for pointing this one out.

Cheers!

You welcome!

Since you are a Aussie, maybe you can send some Oingo Boigo LP's my way... ;)

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts