Grinding noise from brand new Project Essential II turntable

trickyuk

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought a brand new Project Essential II turntable last weekend and have been playing a few new records on it. I don't know much at all about turntables, but I can hear an annoying grinding sound from the stylus when playing even brand new records. The noise can be heard quite clearly, particularly on quieter parts of the tracks.

I must say that I found the setup instructions very difficult to understand so I just hope i have done it right. The stylus (cartridge?) was already fitted, so I added the little anti-skip weight to the appropriate position and fasted the tone-arm counterweight on the end of the tone-arm. This seems to have numbers around the edge, but turning it doesn't seem to do anything.

I worry that this grinding noise will be doing damage to my records. It certainly sounds horrible.

Also, some of my 180g heavy weight records are a VERY tight fit onto the spindle. Is that normal?

Also (am I annoying you yet???) the platter cloth/mat thing regularly sticks to the underside of the record when I take them off the platter.

My main concern is the grinding. What should I do?

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Is the cartridge body touching the record, causing the grinding sound? It would seem that the stylus pressure is far too heavy and you will have to adjust it to the manufacturer's specs. First level out the arm by turning the counterweight. The arm should be perfectly level with the record surface. Then you need to turn the little inner ring on the counterweight until the 0 is aligned with the mark on the arm. Finally turn the counterweight until the recommended stylus pressure of the cartridge being used is ln line with the mark on the arm. Hope that works.

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I might be wrong, but I think the Essential turntable has a sliding counterweight, rather than one that is turned. The instruction manual for the turntable should show you how to adjust it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
In time, get yourself a stylus gauge. I did recommend a cheap digital one which a few folks here bought. Makes life easier if, in the future you start swapping cartridges, modify arms etc etc.

Hopefully, Chebby, our resident fact keeper will find the original thread.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts