Help me find a receiver?

Al Schlimm

Jan 10, 2021
Visit site
I'm looking to rebuild an audio system but am way out of touch. I have an old set of Polk 10B's and would like to go from there. Let's start with the receiver. My room isn't that big, so I don't need massive power, but I really want quality and dimension. I don't have a McIntosh budget but I'll spend a bit for some quality. My tastes are diverse... jazz, acoustic, classical, some rock... I'm big on female vocalists. I'm primarily concerned with audio. If the receiver could also be used for TV reinforcement it'd be great but I don't want to compromise audio quality for A/V flexibility. If possible I'd also like Bluetooth capability for my wife's convenience. I don't know where to start reviewing things -- where are the good reviews these days? Thanks in advance all!

Al Schlimm

Jan 10, 2021
Visit site
Thanks BigBoss. I don't really need the video side of things. I might do a soundbar but I'm not into the multichannel thing. Are those machines compromising on audio to add the other bells and whistles?

Soundbar will not give you the sound quality you're after. Ideally, you need to demo your options. If you're not interested in video at all, then there are good stereo amplifiers within your budget. Alternatively, if you're not interested in adding speakers and only want stereo, there are amplifiers with HDMI to suit that need. Check this for example:

Marantz NR1200 is another option. If you can stretch your budget or can get second hand, check out Arcam SR250.

Al Schlimm

Jan 10, 2021
Visit site
Thanks so much, guys. These all look in the ballpark. I might be interested in replacing my old Polk 10Bs with a smaller set of speakers that are comparable... any thoughts along those lines? These would be 99% audio only, not home theater. For jazz, classical, acoustic, rock, etc.

rainsoothe

Dali Oberon 5 are nice slimline floorstanders that sound great, are unfussy with positioning and go great with marantz. Focal Chora should also make great partners (both the floorstanders and the stand mounts), and so should Revel Concerta 2 M16 if you’re looking for standmounts.

Al Schlimm

Jan 10, 2021
Visit site
Thank you! Are you familiar with the old Polk Audio 10B's? How would these speakers compare with those? I've had them since the late 80s and I'm guessing the technology has progressed quite a bit.

Soundwave92

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
I'd recommend the Arylic A50. I can't fault it, such a good bit of kit!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts