Question Help! I don’t know what speakers should match my amp.

Mark Emo

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
During lockdown, I purchased a Denon AVR-X2600H 7.2 Ch AV Receiver. My goal was to have really good 5.1 sound (affordable) and matched with a B&W ASW 12” sub and 5x Mission 700 series speakers. I then set it up using the automatic calibration microphone. I’ve played around with the settings a few times, but in short it just sounds really unbalanced, and just doesn’t give a good experience. Honestly, a simple off-the-shelf system would sound so much better and I feel I’ve really wasted my money on getting a separate system. (My old £800 Sony all in one kit sounded better) I suspect the first thing I could try is other speakers, as I believe the amp is quite a good one? I wonder if anyone here would be prepared to offer me a few minutes of time if they have any expertise, and could suggest some new or used speakers for around £1000 or tell me what I’m doing wrong. (I presume the Denon amp is a pretty good one, and maybe it’s more about the 5 speakers) I’m a bit new to this, and would really appreciate anyone’s advice and support!

Can I ask what you are trying to get better sound from? Bluray discs?
Are all of those five mission speakers the same? You will be better off with a proper centre speaker.
With the correct speaker set-up and that calibration function it should be able to sound pretty good.
You say you've messed around with the settings so perhaps you can explain exactly how you have those speakers set up.

Last edited:

Mark Emo

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
Thanks! Yes, BlueRay, or more often than not online films via Netflix, Amazon Prime or Apple etc. The speakers are different sizes. I’ve tried to attach an image from my Apple photos on my phone, but for some reason it won’t allow the file extension. The two rear speakers are smaller. (Satellite speakers)

Mark Emo

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
Are all of those five mission speakers the same? You will be better off with a proper centre speaker.
With the correct speaker set-up and that calibration function it should be able to sound pretty good.
You say you've messed around with the settings so perhaps you can explain exactly how you have those speakers set up.

Mark Emo

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site

2 x mission 701 mains
1 x mission 702c centre speaker
2 x mission 70 satellite speakers

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts