Help from Mr Everard - 2 questions around the Denon 2310?

PaulShaw01

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew

I'm looking for some help. I''ve got a Denon 2310 with the Dali Ikon 6 surround set-up......really happy with this!!!

Although in stereo it sounds ok, I'm considering buying an AMP and hooking it up to the pre-outs on the Denon so I can use the Ikon 6's for stereo sound. I'm not looking to spend a lot, but unsure of how much to spend to get an improved stereo sound compared to the Denon............so my questions are....

1 Would a Marantz PM6002 / PM6003 sound better than the Denon with the proposed set-up, and if not which AMP would you recommend.

2 The Marantz PM6002 / PM6003 doesn't have bi-amping, so if I went with this option would stereo bass be OK with Ikon 6's? I have the denon hooked up with bi-amping at the moment?

Thanks

Paul

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I reckon if you're using the Denon to biamp the speakers, then the improvements when using the Marantz amp might be fairly marginal. What are you using as a source for music in stereo?

PaulShaw01

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew for responding so quickly.

Because I've focused on surround sound, I've got a Marantz CD6002 as the source. I've recently upgraded from the Onkyo SR605 to the Denon and noticed that the stereo sound improved significantly.......but am now keen to improve a little further.

The reason for looking at the Marantz amp, was because of the recommended pairing from WHF.

If the Marantz won't help much, can recommend an AMP (and CD player, if you think I need one) to partner with the Dali's?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd be looking higher up the amp scale, into the realms of entry-level Cyrus/Naim or higher end NAD/Rotel models, in order to get more from the Dalis.

PaulShaw01

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew

So, it looks like I'm ending towards the 600-1000 quid for an amp, and a cd that can partner with them.

I may settle with what I have for a bit, and see how I go. More research required before I head off down that path!!!

As a final question, would it be sensible to upgrade the CD player first (and if I do would I get any improvments) with the amp later.......or would I need to go with a new AMP & CD player together to any noticeable change?

PaulShaw01

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew for setting me on the right path.

I'll start my research now........have been looking at the Cyrus 6XP, which seems to do what I want, so I'll start shopping round for a good price.

The CD player maybe a 2011 investment.

Paul

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Of course, Paul, you have not told us about what cabling you are using.......

I have the same receiver, and have found a significant improvement can be had if you spend a bit more on cabling.........

When I say cabling, I mean mains cables, interconnects and the biggest surprise was changing from the Award winning Chord silverscreen to the Chord Odyseey 2 speaker cable.......the clarity, realism and detail is fantastic.

Just replaced the centre speaker last night, and I can't believe how good it sounds now.......

Why haven't WHF reviewed this cable? I see a small section of reviews on speaker cables in this months copy, but not the Odyssey 2? I know it's old-ish, but I'm truely astonished by what it has done to my system.........and it semms many on here use it too.