Help for a newbie, what should I look at?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK, where to start! I'm an absolute beginner to all this, so please go easy on any terminology! Any pointers anyone can provide would be very gratefully received. We're building an extension and want to have a plasma mounted on the wall above the fire. I know all the issues with regards to heat and viewing angle, and think we're ok there.

So I get my plans right, I want to consider all aspects. Because we're building the extension, we can't spend untold amounts!

1/ Which plasmas should I be looking at? (I take it I should be looking at plasmas not lcd's?)

2/ What do I need to consider when allowing for wires etc. We'd be building a false chimney breast.

3/ We were thinking of taking the (hidden) wires into a built in cupboard to house the sky hd etc but then theres an issue with the remote - any way round this, or does the box have to be on show?

4/ We currently have a cheap sony surround - what would be a better option?

5/ Is there anything else I need to be asking???

Thanks so much.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I know your budget is limited, but I think the first question is "how limited"??

1/ Which plasmas should I be looking at? (I take it I should be looking at plasmas not lcd's?)

Plasmas are generally see as better, but they're heavier and use a lot more juice than an LCD. Personally I have a Sony LCD and it's excellent. What screen size are you contemplating (your room size and anticated distance from the screen will play a factor). In a very bright room, LCDs will tend to be a bit better. Main thing to realise is, that size isn't everything - and quality varies (in lock-step with the price, generally!). And each new model brings a leap forward in quality.

2/ What do I need to consider when allowing for wires etc. We'd be building a false chimney breast.

Assuming you're installing a surround system, all you will need is a power cable for the screen and a second cable to bring the picture (HDMI is best, and essential for Sky HD or blu-ray, if you're using just DVD and standard sky, a scart cable will suffice - although HDMI is the way of the future, so it's best.). If you're building a false chimney breast, you builder should be advised and he can chase the cables through and provide gaps etc.

3/ We were thinking of taking the (hidden) wires into a built in cupboard to house the sky hd etc but then theres an issue with the remote - any way round this, or does the box have to be on show?
A cupboard is fine, but ventilation will be essential - especially if you go for a new amp - they tend to get warm. I think sky do an "eye" which can sit above, and you can lock away your sky box. If you've got an amp and DVD or Blu-Ray player, you'll need proper line-of-sight to work them (so perhaps something with an open or (smoked) glass front).

4/ We currently have a cheap sony surround - what would be a better option?
How much have you got?!? A cheap amp (£300 and up) speaker cables (£2-10 per metre), speakers set (starting from £300), blu-ray player (from £220), HDMI leads (from £20). Although there are now blu-ray surround all-in-one-box systems starting to arrive in the market - expect to pay ??£500). I would advise waiting until close to your movedate to buy this stuff, as some of the tech is evolving pretty fast, (e.g. panasonic introduced a new Blu-Ray player in Oct and it's been discountinued already).

5/ Is there anything else I need to be asking???

Probably! But that's a good start.

A

Anonymous

Hi Emma
1/How big do you want the screen? Plasmas tend to be better over 42",pioneer being the best.but don't rule out auditioning LCD's

2/if your running through an AV amp you just need an HDMI lead and a power cord to the TV.

3/No,use an IR remote.

4/seperates systerm will be better and you can tailor it more to your needs

A

Anonymous

Thanks so much for replying. For TV size room will be 4.75m square (ish). Fire (intended) is going to be long and thin - probably either 1m or 1.3m wide. Viewing would mainly be from the other side of the room.

What size do you think?

A

Anonymous

Do you happen to know how wide the actual units are? Screen size is measure from corner to corner isn't it? (Sorry that's probably a really dumb question).

Can't advise budget at this stage really - depends on what the builders quotes come back like!!!

What about speakers / wires - is that something I need to consider builder wise?

I just don't want to miss anything now that the builders can incorporate and regret it later, even if I don't use them in the short term.

A

Anonymous

Also, can you tell me about amps - I know nothing! I take it they do just that, amplify everything? How does it all link - is it sky hd, amp, tv? I have a wii as well, not sure whether that affects anything, we don't use it that much.

Thanks so much in taking time to respond, it's really kind of you all.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
EJ

You'll find physical dimensions of the TVs etc both on manufacturers' websites and on the reviews on this site. See under Tech Specs on the reviews.

The amplifier/receiver will both process and deliver surround sound to all the speakers, and also act as a switching centre for the whole system.

With the right receiver, you can connect everything to it and just run a single signal cable to the TV.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
exactly as Andrew said. On my system, the amp is the central processing station.

My satellite box, DVD player, iPod Dock, Wii all feed their picture and sound into the amp. The amp process the sound and upgrades the image, and then a single HDMI lead carries all the pictures to the screen (I then select, on the amp's remote, whether I'm listen to iPod or watching a DVD or telly and the amp does the rest). the sound is carried to the speakers by the speaker cables. If you're having a new build - you can run them along the floor (I had the builders run the rear speaker cables under the floor boards and come up (buried in the plaster) and out at the point where I hung them on the wall.

If you don't know a lot about this, you might be best to ask your supplier to reccommend a fitter, or better still if you know someone who has a passing interest, it would be useful to ask them over to have a look at what you're planning.

A

Anonymous

Using a compatibale amp as a hub to feed your various sources(wii,sky box DVD player etc) into the TV is the simplest and most tidy method.Big Aura's right,your going to find you have LOTS more questions before your finished,however installers can be eye waterling expensive!

TRENDING THREADS