Help choosing new speakers.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone.

Im in the market for some new speakers, standmounts or floorstanders. Right now i have a set of the Mission MX4, they play okay, but i dont think they're as exciting as my old Heco Celan X301.

I've been looking at these speakers:

KEF R100 (maybe add a subwoofer)

Quad 21L2

Acoustic Energy AElite 3

Tannoy Revolution DC6T

KEF Q500

My price range is maximum 650£. But my room is pretty small, so one of the speakers only have about 30cm to a sidewall, and i can maximum give them 25cm to the backwall.

I hope you can help me. I will have no chance to listen to the speakers listed above. I live in Denmark, but thinking of buying from England, as there are some amazing deals
smile.gif

Regards
Kristian

EDIT - Maybe i should say, that my amp is a Advance Acoustic MAP-308.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
How small exactly is the room?

That close to rear/side walls I would look at sealed speakers like the ATC SCM7 and Spendor S3/5R.

The SCM7 would be my choice, best out of all the ATC 'Entry' range IME/IMO.

Are there not any dealers of said speakers in Denmark, or near you?

A

Anonymous

I have to travel alot if i want to hear just half of the speakers.

Im willing to buy used, so maybe i can see if i can find some ATC SCM11?

It's hard to say how large my room is. The total room size is 26m2, i have tried to draw a floorplan.

Just right click, open in new tab or what ever its called :)
floorplancy.jpg

A

Anonymous

I know that i can order from superfi and audioaffairs, dealers in denmark, dont have the same sales as you do, which is quite a shame!

A

Anonymous

But i will maybe buy in Denmark, if i can get a great deal.

But can any of you help me to choose a pair of speakers? I've seen you, David, be very helpful in other threads, i hope you can tell something about some of the speakers :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I bought the KEF Q500s so I obviously like them but I didn't listen to the others on your list so I can't give you a comparison. IMO the KEFs are very analytical and very suited to listening to the type of music I like, which is mainly classical. They are outstanding on solo lute music for example where you can hear every nuance of the music and every movement of the player's fingers on the strings. They are also great on solo voice both classical and popular, Katie Melua, Eva Cassidy, Joan Armatrading all sound brilliant. However I supect those who like music with heavy bass would say they are a bit light in that area. I listened to the Cream "Wheels of Fire" album today and Jack Bruce's bass came through strongly as did Ginger Baker's drums but that's about as heavy as I go.

Chris

A

Anonymous

I have recieved an offer on the KEF Q500 including a B&W AS2 Subwoofer, for 500£. Maybe i should just accept that deal. They're used, but in mint condition.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm really not qualified to comment, but I will anyway - so take this with a pinch of salt.

I don't quite know why, but the new Kef R series are the first speakers for ages that have really excited me in terms of performance (admittedly reviews/hype) vs price.

I think you would do well to try to audition them, and I think you might be surprised to find that even with such a small speaker that you might not need a subwoofer, especially considering your relatively small/strangely shaped listening environment.

Take that!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what you want, or what music you like but I would not go for a subwoofer. The "inroom" lowest frequency might be low enough especially in your relatively small one!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You haven't said what kind of music you listen to and I seriously think that makes a difference. Your comments about a subwoofer makes me think you are looking for something bass heavy.

However if you can get the KEFs cheap then I wouldn't hesitate. Just listening to Roberta Flack on them and it is a revelation.

Chris

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
ATC SCM7 or Spendor S3/5R would be my choice of speakers to audition for that room size/position.

You might prefer the SCM11 if you like higher volumes, other than that there is no real addvantage, they dont integrate as well as the SCM7 or have such good mid range IMO.

One thing to take into account, is that the SCM7's really thrive on decent stands, big and heavy, again in my experience.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the comments! :)

I have a very wide musical taste, and listen to many different artists.

I can name a few: Empire of the Sun, Blue Foundation, Frank Sinatra, Linkin Park, Gang Starr, Whitney Houston, Seal, Kanye West, Colplay, AC/DC, Kid Cudi and some various Drum & Bass, very few dubstep, some house music and so on. So it needs to be a speaker that can handle pretty much everything :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I had to Google "dubstep" but then I'm an old fogey. :rofl: Listen to the KEF 500s if you can but I suspect you will find other speakers more suited to your musical tastes.

Chris

McRagefit

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I consider my B&W 685's to be decent all-rounders, so perhaps you should also check out the B&W 684's (one up in the line and closer to the price you mentioned).

Link

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
KristianFlindt said:
But can any of you help me to choose a pair of speakers? I've seen you, David, be very helpful in other threads, i hope you can tell something about some of the speakers :)

Apologies Kristian, I've been mega busy over the past few days.

It's been quite a while since I've heard Quad speakers, so I can't really comment too much on them, but they've been out for a while now and no doubt newer technologies and designs have surpassed them. At the moment, the speaker market is a fast moving one, with a small number of manufacturers making big steps forward in producing less compromised loudspeakers (all speakers are a compromise).

The KEF R100's are a better speaker than the Q500, although they do like a more stable amplifier than the Q500's, which can be driven by any entry level amplifier. I can't speak for the Aelites, but you're probably looking at the DC6T's as being the main competition. TO say how they compare to the R100's, I would need to refresh my memory with a listen to the DC6T's.

I very much doubt you'd be needing to add a subwoofer to the R100's as they have a surprisingly taut bass as they are, and thats even with using the outer part of the supplied foam bungs.

10" from the rear wall shouldn't be an issue for any of these speakers.

I'm sorry I can't help you further on this one.

A

Anonymous

Hehe, its mainly because of acousticaffairs summer sale, but after talking to some danish resellers, i can get just as good prices here :) They just dont list the rebates on their websites.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
:star: Rega speakers are excellent value, natural fibre cones (another name for paper cones).

:dance: JBL have some new retro speakers which should be fun listening.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know anything about Mission 796? I can get a new pair for 640£ incl. shipping.

A

Anonymous

Oops, double post. But thanks for all the answers! :)

Right now i have some good offers on the following speakers:

KEF Q500 + B&W AS2 sub (about 2 years old, mint condition) = 500£

Monitor Audio RX6 (played 10 hours, close to brand new) = 525£

Mission 794/796 (Brand new) = 540£/640£

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Choosing a speaker based on price is a fast track to long term disappointment. You should be choosing the speaker that best matches your amplifier, works well in your room, and you should also like the sound of them.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Choosing a speaker based on price is a fast track to long term disappointment. You should be choosing the speaker that best matches your amplifier, works well in your room, and you should also like the sound of them.

I know that, but i will have a very hard time getting to listen to the different speakers! I just listed the prices because some of the speakers were much more expensive when they first came out. im thinking of upping my budget, but then again, i live in a small dorm room, so i think i will wait buying +2000£ speakers and amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts