Help choosing a Hi-Fi setup

Benj94

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
So to start off, I know nothing about Hi-Fi, but I would like a new setup for use with my PC, aswell as possibly my Xbox, and also my iPhone. I usually just plug my iPhone in using an AUX cable.

Currently, I just use these speakers - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genius-Gaming-SW-G2-1-3000-Heart-Beating/dp/B0076C7L5M/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438856423&sr=1-2&keywords=Genius. I bought them because I heard they were good 'gaming' speakers. Anyway, they were terrible and I just want a nice system to listen to my music.

I do however, like the setup of my current speakers. Preferably, I would like two speakers and a subwoofer, as well as a centre console with AUX, USB and radio functionalities.

My budget is around £200 to £300, but i'm willing to stretch if needs be.

If anybody could point me in the right direct, that would be appreciated, as I am absolutely struggling.

Cheers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Way too little for what you are asking for, best bet is a better computer setup, there are models around the £200 range, check out the Acoustic Energy Aego M as a better than average model. You might need an external dac, depending on you connectivity.

You can do much better of course, particularly if you are prepared to keep it simple.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
For your budget, I'd recommend you look at Ruark MR1s. I have a set and they seem to defy the laws of physics for their size. You can wire them into your PC and connect your iPhone and the like using the Bluetooth. You won't get a subwoofer as well for the money but they are impressive without one and they do have a subwoofer output so you can add one if necessary/when funds allow.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
splasher said:
For your budget, I'd recommend you look at Ruark MR1s. I have a set and they seem to defy the laws of physics for their size. You can wire them into your PC and connect your iPhone and the like using the Bluetooth. You won't get a subwoofer as well for the money but they are impressive without one and they do have a subwoofer output so you can add one if necessary/when funds allow.

Decent enough call, as are similar models from the likes of Q Acoustics, Monitor Audio among others.

However these are all small desktop/lifestyle products that will be blown into the weeds by a pair of Presonus Eris 5 active speakers. Just add a simple inexpensive dac such as a Fostex P100, Behringer UCA 202 or a Fiio E3 depending on the functionality required. Cost could be less than £250 including cables and a performance capability that will see off many a budget separates system.

Functionality is basic though, you might want to add a more flexible dac/preamp down the line, but the performance is way beyond anything mentioned above. As always it is up to you, the desktop solutions are available from high street dealers but the Presonus will have to be tracked down (not that difficult) or ordered blind.

Convenience or performance, your choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts