Help - Carrot in my speaker!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My lovely 3 yr old has posted a wooden toy carrot into the rear port of my Monitor Audio RX6 silver. Although at the moment I hear no difference in sound, just the thought that it is in there will bug me. Should I unscrew the through bolt and remove the mid range? Could the carrot have fallen to the bottom of the speaker (or does it have separate chambers?) Could the carrot come out by removing the speaker terminal plate at the bottom rear?

Help please?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If it's been posted in through the port, I suspect removing the midrange driver would be the best solution in an attempt to retrieve it, followed by some judicious use of port bungs to prevent a repeat performance.

But before you start unbolting anything, I'd have a chat with Monitor Audio to find out how the cabinet is divided up within, as this should give you a better idea where to look.

A

Anonymous

Just wondered if the WHF team might do a group test on mass loading speaker cabinets with various fruit and veg?

spr1ggsy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I think that What Hifi cant do a test regarding fruit as it may have copyright issues. i think Apple and Blackberry maight sue the pants off them. Could be worse - at least im not on Orange!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
karat790.2dc-1.jpg

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I'd leave it there...Chances are it's sitting harmlessly amidst a load of soft 'wadding'.
might be harmless now but not when it starts to rot. I'd start by waiting for it to get dark at night then shine a torch down the port to see if you can find outr where it's gone.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
chebby said:
I'd leave it there...Chances are it's sitting harmlessly amidst a load of soft 'wadding'.
might be harmless now but not when it starts to rot. I'd start by waiting for it to get dark at night then shine a torch down the port to see if you can find outr where it's gone.

It can't rot. It's a wooden toy carrot according to the OP.

A

Anonymous

Suggest you give Russ Andrews a call. I'm sure he can put them in his catalogue at £99.99 a pop and pay you a commission on all sales.
lol.png
lol.gif
lol.png

Damn! You beat me to it on that one!

A

Anonymous

All excellent suggestions - well done - I think I'll approach Russ Andrews with the idea as suggested.

Monitor Audio replied to me within 12 hours and said unscrew the mid-range as it would not have fallen to the bottom as the top half is a separate chamber.

But perhaps i'll leave it for now as the overall sound of my system now has.. lets say... more crunch and bite to it!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Pusscat said:
All excellent suggestions - well done - I think I'll approach Russ Andrews with the idea as suggested.

Monitor Audio replied to me within 12 hours and said unscrew the mid-range as it would not have fallen to the bottom as the top half is a separate chamber.

But perhaps i'll leave it for now as the overall sound of my system now has.. lets say... more crunch and bite to it!

There is another option.

ESP2009 has a ferret called Thora, who is intimately familiar with the inner workings of a Proac Studio 140 (having gone for an unscheduled reconnoiter). I'm sure, if asked nicely, she would be happy to go on a retrieval expedition, as this skill could well be transferable to MA. :D

The only problem would be if the Ferret got stuck along with the carrot. :O

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thora The Explorer needs no asking. However, this scenario begins to read like the 'Old Woman Who Swallowed A Fly'.

Great fun thread - thanks to all contributors for the entertainment. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts