Help - Better Music quality please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

First post so please be kind. As the subject says I want to improve the quality of music from my AV system and would like to gauge the best route to do this.

Currently have a 5.1 system consisting of an Onkyo TX SR-707 amp, Oldish Pioneer Blu Ray player, PS3 and Sky HD.

Speakers are all EPOS: M22i's upfront, M5i's rear, M8i centre and a M&K SB1250 sub.

Recently upgraded the speakers from Kef 3005se's thinking this would provide improved music quality, it has just not to the level I want.

My current thought is to add a quality CD player or potentially a Blu-ray/Cd combo that has high quality audio. A reduction in the number of machines would be a bonus. (are Arcam are releasing something in November?)

Current budget is about £1k how should I spend it to get the best return? Thank you in advance for any advice, all suggestions are welcomed. I suppose a change of Amp could be a consideration.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
AV amps are not known generally for their musicality. Thats said, I feel yours is capable of a whole lot more

Id personally recommend keeping what you have (for now) and ~

Fit a decent braided cable to the amp

Buy a decent mains cleaner such as a balanced mains transformer

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/balanced-power-supplies.asp

Change speaker cable to Van Damme UP LC-OFC

Probably cost you around 250-300 quid say and im pretty sure would sound a whole lot better that it does now (buying a decent mains block to plug everything through would be good too, and the amp direct to the mains transformer)

A dedicated cd player would generally be a lot cheaper than a musical bluray player

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Blatcat:

Hello All,

First post so please be kind. As the subject says I want to improve the quality of music from my AV system and would like to gauge the best route to do this.

Currently have a 5.1 system consisting of an Onkyo TX SR-707 amp, Oldish Pioneer Blu Ray player, PS3 and Sky HD.

Speakers are all EPOS: M22i's upfront, M5i's rear, M8i centre and a M&K SB1250 sub.

Recently upgraded the speakers from Kef 3005se's thinking this would provide improved music quality, it has just not to the level I want.

My current thought is to add a quality CD player or potentially a Blu-ray/Cd combo that has high quality audio. A reduction in the number of machines would be a bonus. (are Arcam are releasing something in November?)

Current budget is about £1k how should I spend it to get the best return? Thank you in advance for any advice, all suggestions are welcomed. I suppose a change of Amp could be a consideration.

I would try a different tactic. You have very nice speakers and the Onkyo is no where near good enough for stereo. I would definitely get a stereo amp and either an external DAC - use your bd player as transport (they are very small) or if you can suffer an extra box, a cd player.

You could get a Leema Pulse in the sales for £700 and a DAC for circa £200. Or go for a Creek Evo (Creek and Epos are supposedly designed to work well together).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input, I will order a transformer tonight, if nothing else I suppose it is a process of elimination. I used Chord Rumor to wire up the speakers and got a Chord Power Chord at the same time. Analogue interconnects and HDMI's are all good brands (sorry can't remember) so hopefully should be fine.

Todays thinking is to buy a quality CD player that supports all formats, test that for a couple of days and see how big an improvement there is. Should this fail then it is back to the amp The question is then do I bite the bullet wait another month or so (funds allowing) and add a quality AV receiver like the ARCAM AVR500/600 (supposed to be musical) or just get a dedicated stereo amp like suggested. The Leema Pulse looks great value at £700.

Suggestions Please.... what CD player?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Blatcat:
Thanks for the input, I will order a transformer tonight, if nothing else I suppose it is a process of elimination. I used Chord Rumor to wire up the speakers and got a Chord Power Chord at the same time. Analogue interconnects and HDMI's are all good brands (sorry can't remember) so hopefully should be fine.

Todays thinking is to buy a quality CD player that supports all formats, test that for a couple of days and see how big an improvement there is. Should this fail then it is back to the amp The question is then do I bite the bullet wait another month or so (funds allowing) and add a quality AV receiver like the ARCAM AVR500/600 (supposed to be musical) or just get a dedicated stereo amp like suggested. The Leema Pulse looks great value at £700.

Suggestions Please.... what CD player?

Seriously, for music, your speakers are crying out for a decent stereo amp. The cables might help a smidge but a stereo amp will make a massive difference. I tried my music through my AV receiver today and it's just not even close.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts