Shillocks

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi all

I'm after some opinions from more experienced ears. I have been looking to upgrade my current entry level setup. I'm quite keen on getting a streamer/amp and have done a fair bit of research. I have been looking at the Hegel H95 and wondered which would be the better option compared to the combination of the Cambridge Audio cxn V2 and cxa61? Both setups cost roughly the same. They would be powering some Kef r3's.

Many thanks for your inputs.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

I'm after some opinions from more experienced ears. I have been looking to upgrade my current entry level setup. I'm quite keen on getting a streamer/amp and have done a fair bit of research. I have been looking at the Hegel H95 and wondered which would be the better option compared to the combination of the Cambridge Audio cxn V2 and cxa61? Both setups cost roughly the same. They would be powering some Kef r3's.

Many thanks for your inputs.
I'm always inclined to separate digital aspect from the rest of the package. It's not about sound, but the digital front end is constantly evolving. They are not necessarily getting better, but always changing according to lifestyle. The Hegel piece should be fine, as long as you plan to keep it for awhile and commit to its way of doing things. But for me, the Cambridge set would be ideal. Actually, ideal would be the CXN and an amplifier of another make, but staying in-house is much easier on the eye.

I'm always inclined to separate digital aspect from the rest of the package. It's not about sound, but the digital front end is constantly evolving. They are not necessarily getting better, but always changing according to lifestyle. The Hegel piece should be fine, as long as you plan to keep it for awhile and commit to its way of doing things. But for me, the Cambridge set would be ideal. Actually, ideal would be the CXN and an amplifier of another make, but staying in-house is much easier on the eye.
The only issue I'd have with this is if your buying a streamer with twin DACs why the heck would you want to pay for yet another in the amplifier?
I would agree an amplifier that is simply that makes more sense.

Shillocks

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Would there be a particular amp pairing that you would recommend I look in to? One in roughly the same budget as the Cambridge?

rainsoothe

The Naim Nait 5si suggestion is a sound one, but that one in particular, I feel, is underpowered. Exposure 2010S2, to me, always sounds better than its Naim or Rega equivalent.
I don't think the 5si is underpowered at all, unless you wanna drive ATC kind of stuff, of course. But the Exposure is also a great suggestion - unfortunately, very hard to find on the used market (I know 'cause I looked around for a friend :) ).

D

Deleted member 160668

Just to throw it in the mix, but if you do decide to go amp plus cambridge streamer, look on ebay at Cambridge 'refurbs' for the big brother to the CXN, the 851N. It's a huge step up and they are regularly £900 from Cambridge directly.

The difference for the couple hundred extra (vs new CXN price) is enormous... My 851N 'refurb' was minty new condition, with cellophane etc, plus warranty and I wouldn't be surprised if was new as no overheads. This was a massive leap ahead of the CXN in SQ, which I upgraded from. Plus I rated the CXN very highly - a truly awesome bit of kit. Hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts