Hegel house sound

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I can’t quite remember now but thoughts where that the Hegel sounded slightly warm but natural sounding and detailed clean sounding

My Yamaha A-S2100 is the same but Yamaha uses transistors that give my amplifier a valve kind of sound it’s a bit of a trick from Yamaha but notice it more with slower music like blues or old albums from black sabbath which suits me as it adds to the retro look of my amplifier and the style of music I like which i have a big taste in lots of different types of music .

but what part my speakers play in this I do not no or weather insider Hegel sounds different on his speakers ?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
drummerman said:
Insider, did you read AE 's review in HifiNews & RR?
Sorry DM only noticed you mentioned AE not H190. No not read it. But must admit if it's another glowing review you've got only one decision to make... what colour to go for *biggrin*

Nop, AE stands for Andrew Everard :)

insider9

Ahhhh... Yes I did. The Hifi+ review is the only one that has a little bit of criticism I've seen. That relates to treble. Every other review I've seen was overly positive.

Didn't Hifi News give it amp of the year?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Insider 9 and blacksabbath. The Hegel rost looks tiny in the pictures. Surprised it controlled those big bass drivers at the level of the opticon's well. I can only imagine what the h190 can do with more power.

Blacksabbath, I fondly hope the Yamaha comes back soon from nursing ward instead of a visit to the ICU.

insider9

I'm confused you're taking about big bass drivers and Opticons *blum3*

Did you mean 10 inch woofers in my speakers? *biggrin*

36861248614_d4e80ab96b_c.jpg

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi newlash

yep the Hegel rost handles my Dali’s just fine plenty of power there and I no the Hegel doesn’t look much until you start using it

Yamaha still in hospital at the moment and I have no idea what’s wrong with it the doctors are still carrying out there tests and I have no idea when it’s coming back hopefully this week sometime or next but miss it but let’s hope it’s something simple like a amplifier fuse inside .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Now I’ve never seen speakers before where the bass drive is at the side like that do you have to set them up where the bass drivers are inwards firing or outwards firing On those speakers ?

And noticed that the ribbon is in between the two drivers just like Dali does with some of their speakers and like my own it’s meant to help with midrange and integration .

whats the power handling of those speakers ?

insider9

See, I knew you'd be intrigued. I keep them inward. It would depend the room as it could be either way. It is a fascinating design for many reasons not just side firing woofer and D'Appolito arrangement. The ribbons are actually crossed over quite low at 1.8kHz.

As to power handling I don't know as it isn't stated on speakers. I got them with original boxes but without manual. Previous owner however said they sung best with lots of power 250Wpc plus. Best performance he got was with Musical Fidelity Superchargers 550W per channel :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The only reason I asked which way you put your speakers in regards of direction is the bass travel from each bass driver so if they are facing each other doesn’t that cause issues with the bass colliding into each other’s bass frequencies ? Because as we no bass travels all around

insider9

That would be some headphones 42kg each :)

I thought many times about getting rid of the desk but measurements don't actually show much smearing so still undecided. Here's a pic of the listening part of the room. That's before Hegel and before I re-arranged acoustic room treatment. Didn't take pics since.

24186604668_a3b5bb7905_c.jpg

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
The only reason I asked which way you put your speakers in regards of direction is the bass travel from each bass driver so if they are facing each other doesn’t that cause issues with the bass colliding into each other’s bass frequencies ? Because as we no bass travels all around

That could be the case. I've measured everything and their bass performance is excellent. Surprising for speakers this size in a room this small.

insider9

Mirror is gone now. You've got good attention to detail. Early reflections are only what's possible geometrically. So straight lines from speaker to surface and to listening position at same angle too. Mirror actually didn't cause anything acoustic issues. Didn't notice a difference in measurements after taking it off.

As to speakers I have not tried as right woofer would be firing at a side wall (into a corner) which I didn't want to do.

You would really need to give them a listen. They may have an interesting design but it's so well implemented that it doesn't cause issues. I have measured them against other speakers and honestly bass performance is excellent.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I tell you what insider I’ve seen some shocking YouTube videos where people put speakers in the most stupidest places and I mean big speakers sitting right in a corner right up to the wall or big speakers right next to a patio class door and what makes me smile is they are showing off there hifi on a video where they have spent lots of money on there setup just to have there speakers in the wrong places it’s pure crazy .

i wasn’t having a dig mate with your speakers I am just trying to understand how they work in your room *smile*

insider9

No worries, I didn't think you were. What you can't see in this pic is that there was additional panel in that corner behind right speaker similar to that black panel in opposite corner.

I honestly did my best with the setup. It took a very long time and what must've been thousands of acoustic measurements of absolutely every change.

Seriously try and arrange with your wife to allow you half a day and pop in for a listen.

Oh and they work well enough that DSP is not necessary. Although I still use it to make it sound even better.

insider9

For me it was a day to reminisce... Pearl Jam - Yield coming to an end. Earlier Jeff Buckley - Grace and much earlier David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World and Lou Reed - Transformer.

Plus some Manowar, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin in between.

Crikey, I've not realised I've listened to 4 whole albums today.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I really like led zeppelin’s blues tracks they normally have at least a couple of good ones on each album they did I also listened to black Sabbath paranoid deluxe album today and if you listen to the Second cd you will just get the instrumental versions of the main songs

the other band you want to try is a band called great white

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'm confused you're taking about big bass drivers and Opticons *blum3*

Did you mean 10 inch woofers in my speakers? *biggrin*

I didn't know you had 10 inch woofers in your speakers. Thought modern speakers don't come with those anymore :)

Till you mentioned those, I was referring to the opticon's twin 8 inch bass drivers. Which I thought was as big as modern speakers can get..

newlash09 said:
insider9 said:
I'm confused you're taking about big bass drivers and Opticons *blum3*

Did you mean 10 inch woofers in my speakers? *biggrin*

I didn't know you had 10 inch woofers in your speakers. Thought modern speakers don't come with those anymore :)

Till you mentioned those, I was referring to the opticon's twin 8 inch bass drivers. Which I thought was as big as modern speakers can get..

Some new Tannoys have 1 0" cones......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts