Hegel h95 or Advance A10 Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

spillane

Dec 16, 2021
Visit site
Evening all,
Trying to help my brother out regarding what to buy – a hegel h95 or the advance a10 classic.

Any thoughts or opinions are utterly welcomed. He tends to stream music and occasionaly play some lps
Best regards

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
I have the Hegel H95, it was by far the best Amp I auditioned, I run my Rega Planar 3 through Rega’s own phono preamp and the set up works really well.

The Hegel has been in my system for 6 months now and I have to say I’m very happy with it.
Which other amp did you audition with the Hegel H95 ?

Oxfordian

Which other amp did you audition with the Hegel H95 ?

Quad Artera, Rega Brio, Audiolab 6000A, Hegel H95 and 120 - to be honest I couldn’t tell the difference between the two Hegel’s so went with the 95.

The Quad won on looks but I didn’t like the sound, the Brio was too energetic - it was a party animal but missed a few notes on the way, but the Hegels were just divine, as soon as they were connected I fell in love with the sound and am still happy six months later.

All the amps were trying to drive ATC SMC 7’s.

Reactions: RoA and spillane

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Quad Artera, Rega Brio, Audiolab 6000A, Hegel H95 and 120 - to be honest I couldn’t tell the difference between the two Hegel’s so went with the 95.

The Quad won on looks but I didn’t like the sound, the Brio was too energetic - it was a party animal but missed a few notes on the way, but the Hegels were just divine, as soon as they were connected I fell in love with the sound and am still happy six months later.

Agree, Hegels have a superbly balanced sound, as does the Audiolab.

Unfortunately for some new to the game, the more showroom orientated sound of others may be more attractive, initially at least but they can become weary.

robdmarsh

Hi Oxfordian. I'm Oxford based too. We're quite spoilt in actually having bricks and mortar hifi retailers in the city, aren't we? Audio T, Sevenoaks, Richer Sounds and Oxford Audio Consultants. That last one is for people with deep pockets. I was once in there on a quiet day and the guy offered to give me a demo of a system he had set up for an Arab client in the upstairs demo room. It sounded bloody awful :LOL: Quite funny really!

Reactions: Oxfordian

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
My reply to Amir's review;

H95 owner here (as well as an Arcam SA20 and Audiolab 6000A, swapped between in my second system).

Having also used and owned a couple of cheap and cheerful 'Class D' cinese made products which are well reviewed here plus recent active systems (Kef LS50 Wireless 2 Meta and Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo's ... both sold now) I can tell you that subjectively I far prefer any of my current above amplifiers in the first paragraph to any of the latter.

Maybe Amir got a faulty product? I don't know but the Hegel sounds fantastic (and far more autorative/powerful than stated power would let to believe).

Totally recommended but listen before dismissing. Build is good too.

TrevC

Agree, Hegels have a superbly balanced sound, as does the Audiolab.

Unfortunately for some new to the game, the more showroom orientated sound of others may be more attractive, initially at least but they can become weary.

How can an amplifier be engineered for a showroom sound? Complete nonsense.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
How can an amplifier be engineered for a showroom sound? Complete nonsense.

Of course amplifiers can be made to sound a certain way. I only have to look as far as the Arcam.

Showroom (characterful) sound; Arcam, certain Rega, Naim just to mention a few.

Neutral: Hegel, Audiolab, Bryston etc.

If you believe all amplifiers sound the same the above doesn't apply to you.

Last edited:

TrevC

Of course amplifiers can be made to sound a certain way. I only have to look as far as the Arcam.

Ah, but then we are talking about the placebo effect generated in your imagination by the word Arcam. They are not something that can be engineered into an amplifier that has to have a flat response.

It's that nasty science stuff. Who needs that when you have golden ears?
In fact it's the sort of testing that tells you how good a product really is.
It may tell you how low the distortion is, and how near to accurate it is, but it doesn’t tell you whether you’d actually like the sound of the product. Many amplifiers use certain distortions to create a ‘house sound’, which of course, to the disciples of ASR, is the work of the devil - it doesn’t matter what it sounds like. Stating that a £200 product IS better than a £1000 product because it’s distortion is 0.001% less isn’t the way to choose your own personal system. The specifications of a Tesla are better than a (insert petrol based supercar here), but it doesn’t mean that the Tesla is a preferable drive for everyone.

If you’re after the lowest possible distortions, the lowest SN ratios, the highest power outputs, etc etc for the lowest price, ASR is the forum for you. Most people like to listen to what they’re buying, seeing as they’re paying for the product and they will be listening to it. The fact is, there are a huge number of happy Hegel owners, and there will continue to be, despite what any forum says about their measurements. Also, making assumptions about a brand based on its entry level product just smacks of some sort of smear campaign, especially when “new” members join up to slate the company and the specific product in question. I don’t know why they think a sensible person wouldn’t notice them. But it all fuels the forum’s narrative.

As a young teenager at school, I used to draw the system I was going to buy in my maths book (because of the squares), which was based around being affordable, but incorporating the most power I could get, the lowest distortion figures, the widest frequency range etc etc. Then I grew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts