Hegel 190 Amp/Dac

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Having seen a brief exchange recently about the quality or otherwise of the dac onboard the Hegel H90 made me think about the dac on board by own Hegel 190. I have been entirely happy with its performance this last 2 years and have not been bothered by it’s kHz limitation on the usb connection, but I wondered whether anyone here had tested the H190 against any other standalone dacs and had perhaps even upgraded as a result. I like the H190 very much and don’t want to make a part of it sort of redundant, but I am just curious (fatal I know😀!). Many thanks.

shadders

I have been entirely happy with its performance this last 2 years and have not been bothered by it’s kHz limitation on the usb connection,
Hi,
If you are happy, then why try and look for unhappiness ?

Hifi enthusiasts are chasing the next best thing, unicorn, or are suffering from the notion that there is something better.

On another forum, there is a designer who has literally taken £100k from people over 7 years ago, and has provided them with nothing. They were chasing the rainbows pot of gold.

I would not let others worry you into believing that there is something wrong with your system. We all like different things subjectively, so their unhappiness is theirs alone.

Regards,
Shadders.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a Zen Dac for a relative over Christmas. The Dac wasn't compatible with his system which of course was my mistake. I kept the Zen Dac for my own laptop for Spotify playback. I have a Cambridge CXN v2 network player in my own rig, and was curious to see if I could hear any differences between the Zen Dac and my CXN V2 dac. I connected the Zen to my Marantz PM8005 and played a couple of tracks from Eric Clapton MTV unplugged. I have this album ripped via flac to my Cambridge and Laptop. So I could do A-B testing. I had the power gain switch turned off on the Zen to begin with, and the Zen struggled a tad with my LS50's once I engaged the power gain switch from the Zen I could not hear any audible differences between the Zen and my Cambridge CXN V2. A friend said to me what's the point in the Cambridge Cxn V2 then. I explained that the CXN V2 is a neater solution in my Hifi system and is a joy to use. You might need to spend alot of money on a Dac to get a different sound signature from your Hegel, and different is not always better. If you like what you hear leave the Dac function alone and spend some money on Vinyl, CDs or a streaming subscription..

Reactions: RoA and shadders
the H190 against any other standalone dacs and had perhaps even upgraded as a result.

Fwiw, a couple of months ago a client bought a Denafrips Audio Ares II R-2R DAC as an upgrade to the DAC within the H190. And just yesterday a client bought an Ares II R-2R DAC for the ROST amplifier.

And out of interest we've got a dem with a client lined up for the DAC within the H390 vs Pontus II R-2R DAC. Should be interesting :)

Having seen a brief exchange recently about the quality or otherwise of the dac onboard the Hegel H90 made me think about the dac on board by own Hegel 190. I have been entirely happy with its performance this last 2 years and have not been bothered by it’s kHz limitation on the usb connection, but I wondered whether anyone here had tested the H190 against any other standalone dacs and had perhaps even upgraded as a result. I like the H190 very much and don’t want to make a part of it sort of redundant, but I am just curious (fatal I know😀!). Many thanks.
The DAC in the H190 is better than that in the H90, so any comments on the 90 DAC won’t apply to the 190. Most owners are very happy with the DAC performance, and like any amplifier with integral DAC, you’ll always find a better (more preferable) one if you look for it. Most purchase an amp with a DAC for a reason, and aren’t interested in adding more boxes, but for some, Hegel’s amplification is enough of a reason for purchasing.

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Thanks all. It wasn’t that I was being tempted (honest) and it’s nice to know that Hegel owners are generally as happy as me😀. If ever I wish to upgrade my amplifier at a later date (speakers first!), then another Hegel would be on my shortlist!

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
I think those who continually chase the ultimate shouldn’t buy a multi-purpose amplifier, they should be buying one-box-for-one-job separates in order to get the best at each stage.
I’m sure that’s right, whilst my purse capacity and hopeful ability to slap myself around the face at the right time will always ensure I am never in that position!😀

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
It's all slightly psychological as to what we want in HiFi. In reversal a lot of people buy Range Rovers because they know the car can cope with all different grounds (to a limit) yet they know they most probably will never use it otherwise than on roads but the knowledge the car is capable of all different terrains makes them happy and secure in their choice.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS