Headphones Question- Grado SR80i & Sennheiser HD 595

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting some headphones, either Grado SR80i or Sennheiser HD595. After reading comments in the forum, and also some external reviews, I'm leaning more toward the Senns for a number of reasons, namely the comfort factor, build quality, ease of parts replacement, the richness of the sound and better soundstaging.

My only concern is that some have commented that the Senns lack a little punch compared to the Grados but I'll be using them with a Rotel 1520, which is a forward-sounding amp. Has anyone actually tried this combination? I'm hoping that the amp will counteract any slight laid-back quality the 595s might exhibit.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:I like detail, so I'd still go for the Grados. I doubt you'll find them too much with the Rotel.

How are they in terms of comfort though? As they're 'on-ear' rather than around can they become a bit irritating during long listening sessions?

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Coincidentally, I bought a pair of the Grados from a well-known hifi shop in Coventry on Monday. I've auditioned many pairs, and they are by far the best I've heard - a bargain at this price. They're punchy and full of detail. Can't comment on the comfort, as I haven't used them for long periods, but don't think they'll be any problem. Highly recommended!

idc

I have SR80s and have tried the HD595s in audition as well. My preference is for the dynamics and detail of the Grado's and I don't get on with the Sennheiser 'veil' which for me makes the sound a bit reserved.

As for comfort I found I had sweaty ears with the Senns and prefer the Grados with the pads rather than the bowl foam they come with. I find over extended listening I need to keep adjusting the Grados to keep them in place, but I do headbang without noticing!

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Grado SR80i
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

idc:

I have SR80s and have tried the HD595s in audition as well. My preference is for the dynamics and detail of the Grado's and I don't get on with the Sennheiser 'veil' which for me makes the sound a bit reserved.

As for comfort I found I had sweaty ears with the Senns and prefer the Grados with the pads rather than the bowl foam they come with. I find over extended listening I need to keep adjusting the Grados to keep them in place, but I do headbang without noticing!

Would you say that the Sennheisers sounded reserved only when compared to the punchier Grados? I'd read that the Senns were more neutral than 'laid-back' in character.

A

Anonymous

A main reason why I sold the 595 was the poor cable to can isolation: whenever the cable touches something (usually sleeve or shirt) you hear the contact noise in the cans, it was just unacceptable. The SQ was OKish, but not better than the ancient 540s I had and now sadly died, at least one can.

A

Anonymous

I've also noticed that the Alessandro MS-1s tend to get a lot of praise. Does anyone know how they compare with the 595s and 80is?

A

Anonymous

I have the Grado sr60i and I absolutely love them. I also have Sennheiser HD 550 (which can be modded into HD 595 by removing a piece of foam behind the drivers, google it). The Senns actually sound dull by comparison, but I dont have a separate amp for my cans.

I find the Grados much more appealing when using lesser sources like ipods and laptops. The Sennheisers need a better source than the Grados to show their potential. So the choice should be depending on the source you have.

Regards

A

Anonymous

rjes:

I have the Grado sr60i and I absolutely love them. I also have Sennheiser HD 550 (which can be modded into HD 595 by removing a piece of foam behind the drivers, google it). The Senns actually sound dull by comparison, but I dont have a separate amp for my cans.

I find the Grados much more appealing when using lesser sources like ipods and laptops. The Sennheisers need a better source than the Grados to show their potential. So the choice should be depending on the source you have.

Regards

I'd be using them with a 1520 amp, CD73T and RPM4 turntable.

A

Anonymous

Apparently the Alessandro MS-1s are tuned particularly for guitar-oriented music. Does that mean they don't reproduce other genres too well, eg. classical music?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I've no experience with the Senn 5 series, but the budget 4 series I found very muffled.

The Grado's have wonderful excitement and detail, and really give a great listening experience: a genuine bargain for the price IMO. They're very easy to drive and totally ipod friendly in that respect, but they pair beautifully with my Novo. If you're mainly listening to classical then I would also look at the AKG range, and IDC is the best person to ask for suggestions there.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:I've no experience with the Senn 5 series, but the budget 4 series I found very muffled. The Grado's have wonderful excitement and detail, and really give a great listening experience: a genuine bargain for the price IMO. They're very easy to drive and totally ipod friendly in that respect, but they pair beautifully with my Novo. If you're mainly listening to classical then I would also look at the AKG range, and IDC is the best person to ask for suggestions there.

Thanks for the info. Do you think it would be better then to go for the Grado SR80i (as a better all-rounder) rather than the Alessandros?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I've never heard the Alessandro's so I'm not able to offer an opinion, but they do come highly recommended. Bear in mind, though, that these can only be bought and imported from the US with additional import duties. Have a look on their website here if you've not already done so.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ChesterG:
FrankHarveyHiFi:I like detail, so I'd still go for the Grados. I doubt you'll find them too much with the Rotel.

How are they in terms of comfort though? As they're 'on-ear' rather than around can they become a bit irritating during long listening sessions?
Many people will probably find the Sennheisers more comfortable, but the missus tried a load of headphones and preferred the sound of the Grados, and I thought she'd complain about the fitting of the them, but she preferred it.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I like the fit of the Grado's.

Felt rather tight at first but I soon adjusted to them and they stay firmly attached to my head (no idea what Idc is doing with his!) Unlike the K's which fall off every time I sneeze! lol. Rather top heavy for my liking so I just have to remember to keep still!

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:ChesterG:

Many people will probably find the Sennheisers more comfortable, but the missus tried a load of headphones and preferred the sound of the Grados, and I thought she'd complain about the fitting of the them, but she preferred it.

The comfort factor was one of the elements that had me leaning toward to Sennheisers initially but it's beginning to seem as though the Grados are the better option.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:I've never heard the Alessandro's so I'm not able to offer an opinion, but they do come highly recommended. Bear in mind, though, that these can only be bought and imported from the US with additional import duties. Have a look on their website here if you've not already done so.

They're offering two versions of the MS-1, the Original and the 2009 version. I assume the '09 version is an improved model? It costs $10 extra ($110) but even at this price it's still considerably cheaper than the 80is on amazon.co.uk.

Some on the forum have mentioned that they didn't have to pay import duties on these- Is that only when they're purchased as a gift?

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chester,

I mainly buy Sennheiser headphones (though have a soft spot for Grado`s) and my advice would be to go for the Grado`s. For me, Sennheiser excel with both cheaper and higher end sets but not so much in this price range. The Grado`s are great and as long as you don`t mind them leaking sound then jump straight in!

A

Anonymous

survivor:

Hi Chester,

I mainly buy Sennheiser headphones (though have a soft spot for Grado`s) and my advice would be to go for the Grado`s. For me, Sennheiser excel with both cheaper and higher end sets but not so much in this price range. The Grado`s are great and as long as you don`t mind them leaking sound then jump straight in!

Thanks! I think I'll leave the Senns because the Grados sound the better headphones. Does anyone think it's worth going for the Alessandros perhaps, not just because they're a bit cheaper but apparently they sound better even than the 80is? Has anyone had an opportunity to compare them?

idc

ChesterG:idc:

Would you say that the Sennheisers sounded reserved only when compared to the punchier Grados? I'd read that the Senns were more neutral than 'laid-back' in character.

Yes to the question. But, in terms of neutrality, I prefer AKG over Sennheiser.

I know people rave about the Alessandros, but one thing to consider is if they go wrong there are no dealers here AFAIK.

link

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
comfort wise, i'll go for the senns. BUT it really lacks the punch of grado cans.

senn 595 - neutral or laidback (whichever you'd prefer), descent soundstage

Alessandros - punchy but lacks the soundstage that the senn has, so i would suggest you go for the sr80i

never tried the grados for long listening session though if its fatiguing which the senns isn't.

bemahler1

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
Go for the Alessandro. I have both and for ages have been telling members to take the plunge buy the MS1s, they are outstanding for the money and will make you use the word WOW when you hear them for the first time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts