Headphone upgrade

SteveR750

What could I expect if I upgraded my SR80 s to a more upmarket set of phones? I was looking at Grado SR225 or 325. I dont have the chance to audition so will need some advice here. Don't want to spend more than £200 unless its close to something very special, so open to any other suggestions. Noise leakage is not a problem!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
325i are supposed to be a bit special. Not heard them myself though, as my headphone usage doesn't justify me stepping up from my 125s.

I believe the Grado upgrade philosophy boils down to 'More'. The same characteristics from SR60 to GS1000 just progressively 'more' of everything you want to hear.

John Duncan

The 325s are special, no doubt (see my review with the Fubar IV here), but 1) you'll be hard pushed to get them for 200 quid and b) I mention in that review that the models down the range might be better value, so I'd be cautious.

Are you going to plug them into a dedicated amp or are you just using the headhone out of an integrated?

John Duncan

Well I haven't heard either (only the model up and the model down), but I'd suggest that those two would be even closer than the 60s and 325s I've heard (which had obvious differences, but not necessarily in proportion to the difference in cost*). If it were my money I'd be looking at a separate headphone amp before new cans.

*YMMV

TRENDING THREADS